Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Bezulsqy
But why not turn the slipcase around? I have the back of the slipcase with gorgeous HALLOWEEN lettering pointing to the front.
By inksb
I love the H3 packaging, it's beautiful and super creative. It is going to be a re-sellers nightmare, it will be damaged by you taking it apart to get the record out at some point and from sliding the other LP's in around it in the boxset. I kind of want to frame the 3 mask cards that came with it and hang them on the wall.
By Bub
The week he came home.

The soundtrack features music composed and performed in 1978 by John Carpenter. The audio is taken from the "music stem” derived from the 35mm mono tracks that comprised the dialogue, sound effects, and music of the original film, which when combined, comprise the complete soundtrack of the classic film.

The first LP album of HALLOWEEN - released in 1982 - was a stereo remix of the original 16 masters by Alan Howarth with instructions from John Carpenter to re-mix the tracks to represent the best sound of the music, and not necessarily commit to match the music as mixed for the film. In our 40th anniversary release, Alan Howarth carefully transferred the film's music stem and assembled the score in chronological order as presented in the movie; the listener can visualize the film in their mind's eye while taking a musical journey of the most famous horror score ever! It’s the first time it’s been presented in this manner, and is absolutely terrifying!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/hallow ... ndtrack-lp
NEWHalloween_FC_Disc-_1__cropped_1024x1024.jpg
NEWHalloween_FC_Disc-_1__cropped_1024x1024.jpg (102.17 KiB) Viewed 5687 times
By ScoJo
Very excited for this - like the art a lot, and from what the press release is telling us this is a completely different/new presentation of the music!
1.jpg
1.jpg (625.11 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
By DigitalHiss
So if I'm reading this correctly it will have the dialogue (?).

Gritting my teeth at the splatter wax as I order this on Wednesday...
By Bub
Yup! Glad it's an all new edition & not just a port over of the previous releases. So I guess this technically makes this "presentation" number 4.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I gotta say I haven't really cared for the coverart for any aside from 4 and 5. I'm still getting it obviously, but this doesn't scream Halloween 1 to me
By deafmetal
So, it's a mono pressing of a mono stem? or a stereo mix of a mono stem? If I get the opportunity, I am going to ask Howarth about this project at his concert here on the 18th.
By Mateo Sanboval
This reads to me like it is a fresh, chronological tracklisting with music, dialogue, and sound effects but presented in mono and pulled from the mono stem. I suspect that the content and order will be similar to the previous Mondo release as well as the expanded CD, but obviously from a different source. Eager to see a tracklist.
By Revolver_OcelScott
Mateo Sanboval wrote:This reads to me like it is a fresh, chronological tracklisting with music, dialogue, and sound effects but presented in mono and pulled from the mono stem. I suspect that the content and order will be similar to the previous Mondo release as well as the expanded CD, but obviously from a different source. Eager to see a tracklist.
By Mateo Sanboval
Thanks, Scott!

I wonder if this means that some dialogue and effects will be audible within the music based on the source? Or perhaps I've read the release wrong and they are just explaining the sourcing. Either way, I'm still eager.
By havershaw
Well, I think these stems would all be independent of each other, they just combine to form the final mix - it wouldn’t make sense for the music track to have dialogue on it, cause the dialogue is already present on the dialogue stem.

So my guess is that this would be the music as prepared for the film. But I would think the volume moves (ducking for dialogue etc) would probably be present so it might require some work to sort of undo those moves. And there’s probably noise and hiss issues that had to be dealt with. I’m guessing that’s what they mean by “mixing”?
By ScoJo
havershaw wrote:Well, I think these stems would all be independent of each other, they just combine to form the final mix - it wouldn’t make sense for the music track to have dialogue on it, cause the dialogue is already present on the dialogue stem.

So my guess is that this would be the music as prepared for the film. But I would think the volume moves (ducking for dialogue etc) would probably be present so it might require some work to sort of undo those moves. And there’s probably noise and hiss issues that had to be dealt with. I’m guessing that’s what they mean by “mixing”?
Fwiw this is my take too - 'stems' means they had access to the tapes of the film mix with their individual tracks, and pulled just the music tracks out of the mix. It's interesting and relevant to my interests (and I'm guessing will have a very different feel to the stereo-mixed album version...)
By NathanLurker
Instagram users dislike the artwork very much. Lots of bad vibes, mostly from entitled people. I'm happy with the artwork and the details regarding this soundtrack, glad to be able to complete the boxset. I'm also hyped up to go see Halloween 2018 in theater soon
By Revolver_OcelScott
NathanLurker wrote:Instagram users dislike the artwork very much. Lots of bad vibes, mostly from entitled people. I'm happy with the artwork and the details regarding this soundtrack, glad to be able to complete the boxset. I'm also hyped up to go see Halloween 2018 in theater soon
I think the artwork in itself is fine, it just doesn't scream Halloween 1, or that it's this huge 40th anniversary. There are so many iconic parts to the film that could have been reinterpreted to better encapsulate the film. I'm still excited for it, but I just don't think it fits, just my opinion, I'm more excited for the music inside anyways.
By NathanLurker
The music is the important part yes, and it's very much fine if you don't feel like the artwork is the best visual representation for the movie, that's a valid sentiment and you express it respectfully. Not like some of those instagramers.
By havershaw
Personally, I really mostly care about the music itself. It’s a great bonus when the artwork and packaging is really cool, but that stuff doesn’t mean anything if it’s a botched mastering job.

I like the previous two Halloween releases’ artwork a lot more than this release, but I never got them because I’m not really interested in soundtrack records with dialogue. If I want to hear music + dialogue, I’ll watch the movie.

So I’m excited for this new Halloween release.
The artwork is beautiful, but I’ll admit, it’s not exactly evocative of the 1978 film whose 40th anniversary it’s commemorating.
But *shrug* I mostly care about the music, so whatever.

Side note: just got my H3 discs and I’m a little amazed that the cool “record + novelty” banner (which includes the title of the album!) is basically just a hype sticker! I haven’t figured out yet if there’s a way to open this and preserve it, but given the way that this packaging opens to reveal the record, I don’t think there is.
By NathanLurker
@havershaw : I've cut out around the hype sticker, placed it inside the Sleeve, then stored in the boxset. if you don't have the boxset and you want the sticker to show., I would suggest you cut out the hype sticket from the shrinkwrap, then tape it to a transparent outer sleeve, store your record in the outer sleeve and voila.
By Revolver_OcelScott
havershaw wrote: Side note: just got my H3 discs and I’m a little amazed that the cool “record + novelty” banner (which includes the title of the album!) is basically just a hype sticker! I haven’t figured out yet if there’s a way to open this and preserve it, but given the way that this packaging opens to reveal the record, I don’t think there is.
I managed to unstick the hype sticker from the plastic and placed in on the outside of the Mofi Master Sleeve I put the record in.
By havershaw
NathanLurker wrote:@havershaw : I've cut out around the hype sticker, placed it inside the Sleeve, then stored in the boxset. if you don't have the boxset and you want the sticker to show., I would suggest you cut out the hype sticket from the shrinkwrap, then tape it to a transparent outer sleeve, store your record in the outer sleeve and voila.
I do this already with my hype stickers - I just cut em out and drop them inside the sleeve.

So it’s not really a big deal, but I feel like it’s more than just a hype sticker - it’s an important part of the cover design, so I’m just surprised it was on the shrink. Not the end of the world, but i was surprised.
By havershaw
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:
havershaw wrote: Side note: just got my H3 discs and I’m a little amazed that the cool “record + novelty” banner (which includes the title of the album!) is basically just a hype sticker! I haven’t figured out yet if there’s a way to open this and preserve it, but given the way that this packaging opens to reveal the record, I don’t think there is.
I managed to unstick the hype sticker from the plastic and placed in on the outside of the Mofi Master Sleeve I put the record in.
This is a great idea.
I bought all three variants, so I guess I have a good fighting chance of getting at least one of them right.
By havershaw
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:
Wow, that was actually super easy to do, if you peel from the white corner!