Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:A mono pressing deserves black vinyl, right?
Dare to dream.
By deafmetal
Glad to see the support here for black vinyl, but I'm afraid we are in the minority on this one. I remember at the soundtrack panel at MondoCon that Spencer from Death Waltz/Mondo called out the masses for not buying the black vinyl versions he was releasing at the same time as the colored vinyl versions. I think this was the year after City of the Living Dead and The House of the Devil were released.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:Glad to see the support here for black vinyl, but I'm afraid we are in the minority on this one. I remember at the soundtrack panel at MondoCon that Spencer from Death Waltz/Mondo called out the masses for not buying the black vinyl versions he was releasing at the same time as the colored vinyl versions. I think this was the year after City of the Living Dead and The House of the Devil were released.
I recall you, or one of your fellow conventioneers, relaying that story. Back then I still bought a lot of different DWRC variants, including black, but I was still bummed to hear of the lack of interest. I saw someone selling black 2012 pressings of H2 and H3 on eBay the other day; I'd almost forgotten they existed.
By NathanLurker
the thing is, if the black vinyl is super limited. like 200 copies and the colored 1000, for exemple, they'd go for the black. That's what happened to The Fog, remember ?

Also, black vinyl subscription was an excellent idea
By deafmetal
@Nathan - For the limited web store drops, I think you are correct. It seems to work out when it is the retail edition though. I have picked up Alien, Aliens, Jaws, The Beyond, The Fountain and all the Castlevania albums on retail black vinyl. I am thinking of picking up BTiLC as well.
By Mateo Sanboval
deafmetal wrote:@Nathan - For the limited web store drops, I think you are correct. It seems to work out when it is the retail edition though. I have picked up Alien, Aliens, Jaws, The Beyond, The Fountain and all the Castlevania albums on retail black vinyl. I am thinking of picking up BTiLC as well.
Same. I gave my red BTiLC to a friend and will be buying the b l a a a c k one for myself.
By DigitalHiss
ScoJo wrote:
skeletonbutt wrote:just opened my H3 and went through everything. amazing package! anyone else notice tommy lee wallace was referred to as "tommy lee jones" in the liner notes?
Please tell me this isn't true/a joke? Damn- that's really quite lame if not.
On one of the Halloween scores they listed J Blake Fichera (guy who wrote the liner notes/podcast host/author) as (I think) Blake J Fichera. Supposedly corrected on subsequent issues of the album..I think maybe it was just on the OBI..

Maybe they were too busy to do one final readthrough of the text.
By DigitalHiss
It is fascinating to read the copy on new releases espousing the intricate details of how the master tapes were discovered and professionally massaged from their reels for a first time ever release with the blessing from the original composer etc etc etc...then see it's released as a quad color splatter vinyl.

Black vinyl will sell.
By ScoJo
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
deafmetal wrote:@Nathan - For the limited web store drops, I think you are correct. It seems to work out when it is the retail edition though. I have picked up Alien, Aliens, Jaws, The Beyond, The Fountain and all the Castlevania albums on retail black vinyl. I am thinking of picking up BTiLC as well.
Same. I gave my red BTiLC to a friend and will be buying the b l a a a c k one for myself.
And I did exactly the same.

I'll await the retail (solid colour) of this new Halloween. I'm wildly
curious and eager to hear it but am done with the £50-60 that a direct
buy from Mondo will end up costing me with customs etc. It'll still be around £35 from my local brick/mortar amigo but at least I'm supporting his shizzle into the bargain.
By Mateo Sanboval
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

buy from Mondo will end up costing me with customs etc. It'll still be around £35 from my local brick/mortar amigo but at least I'm supporting his shizzle into the bargain.
Sound reasoning.
By chiefbrody
ScoJo wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:

I'm with you @ScoJo. I'm waiting on my black Big Trouble arriving (local didn't have it), but who's got the money to regularly drop £50+ on releases, especially when there's so much coming out. Unless it's a must have (eg Jaws), I'd much rather try to get 2 records for my 50 notes.

I'm skint, all the time, to be fair. I need a return to the good old days of £20-25 for a record.
By havershaw
Ok, I have my H2 vinyl...I don’t have DW’s last pressing of this, so I can’t compare this to that, but I do have the Varese version, and...I don’t think I love the mastering on this.

When directly comparing, I found that some things sound cooler (definitely more low end), but I can’t help but feel like it’s a little overcompressed altogether. When the big chords come in on the credits sequence, the driving piano rhythms duck in volume (same with the ending of this cue).
In some places it’s a more “open” sounding master, as it seems like they gave it a lot more top and bottom, but I don’t love hearing the rhythmic stuff duck every time there’s a loud chord. Laurie’s Theme does the same thing in the second and third verses (it does *not* do this on the Varese release - the higher-pitched rhythmic stuff never gets lost under the chords).

Also, i was slightly shocked to see that Mr. Sandman is indeed on this release (listed both on the back cover and on the label). I just checked Mondo’s site again and it’s definitely absent from the back cover.

(sorry if this post is overly long - I always wished I could find folks online comparing original releases to reissues, so I could figure out which one I should buy, so I thought others might find this useful.)
By Mateo Sanboval
havershaw wrote:Ok, I have my H2 vinyl...I don’t have DW’s last pressing of this, so I can’t compare this to that, but I do have the Varese version, and...I don’t think I love the mastering on this.

When directly comparing, I found that some things sound cooler (definitely more low end), but I can’t help but feel like it’s a little overcompressed altogether. When the big chords come in on the credits sequence, the driving piano rhythms duck in volume (same with the ending of this cue).
In some places it’s a more “open” sounding master, as it seems like they gave it a lot more top and bottom, but I don’t love hearing the rhythmic stuff duck every time there’s a loud chord. Laurie’s Theme does the same thing in the second and third verses (it does *not* do this on the Varese release - the higher-pitched rhythmic stuff never gets lost under the chords).

Also, i was slightly shocked to see that Mr. Sandman is indeed on this release (listed both on the back cover and on the label). I just checked Mondo’s site again and it’s definitely absent from the back cover.

(sorry if this post is overly long - I always wished I could find folks online comparing original releases to reissues, so I could figure out which one I should buy, so I thought others might find this useful.)
This post is pure gold. Thanking you.
By havershaw
Also, I didn’t notice before how many typos there are on the back cover that Mondo shows on its site.

Beside “He Know’s Where She Is,” the first track on Side 2 is incorrectly named on the site.

Side note: “The Shape Stalks Again” is wayyyyy overcompressed on this reissue. Every time the big drums hit, the whole rest of the mix ducks in volume. I don’t know how no one noticed it.

Also weird to me that they didn’t put any songwriting, performance, or publishing info anywhere on the release for Mr. Sandman. I’m not sure that’s legal. It’s on both the back cover and the label of the Varese release.
Attachments
BDF4BE6F-8420-4AD4-ABEC-AEBF10ECEF78.jpeg
BDF4BE6F-8420-4AD4-ABEC-AEBF10ECEF78.jpeg (492.52 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
C6B8781F-D461-40B4-BA83-FC656A64E199.jpeg
C6B8781F-D461-40B4-BA83-FC656A64E199.jpeg (279.06 KiB) Viewed 5896 times
By Revolver_OcelScott
I ordered Night of the Living Dead (90) with Halloween II, forgetting that NOTLD comes out on Halloween, so I won't be getting it anytime soon :(
By Mateo Sanboval
Revolver_OcelScott wrote:I ordered Night of the Living Dead (90) with Halloween II, forgetting that NOTLD comes out on Halloween, so I won't be getting it anytime soon :(
I ordered mine by itself ten minutes after it went up and it still doesn't have a shipping label so we may all be in the same boat here.
By Mateo Sanboval
There were Beyondfest variants for all five Halloween reissues.
imageproxy.jpg
imageproxy.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
imageproxy-1.jpg
imageproxy-1.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
imageproxy-2.jpg
imageproxy-2.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
imageproxy-3.jpg
imageproxy-3.jpg (24.2 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
imageproxy-4.jpg
imageproxy-4.jpg (23.58 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
By havershaw
Wow, those are great-looking. I much prefer this variant of the OG Halloween. Trying to get a friend at H40 to snag one for me.