Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By havershaw
deafmetal wrote:They are pretty, and I much prefer them over the clown colors. That said, still want black!
Yeah, I’d rather have a plain black for OG Halloween, at the very least.
By rkellner
You guys made me buy these Halloween albums for a fourth time today (and the second time in a month!). Not fair. My bank account hates you all.
By havershaw
So apparently the H40-only vinyl variant was only available if you bought the entire H40-exclusive box set - you couldn't buy it as a single release. I passed on that. Oh well.
By havershaw
Mondo offered to save me some shipping money and ship Profondo Rosso and Halloween together (this was last week).
Still no shipping notification, though.

thanks for the headsup, inksb.
By Revolver_OcelScott
havershaw wrote:Mondo offered to save me some shipping money and ship Profondo Rosso and Halloween together (this was last week).
Still no shipping notification, though.

thanks for the headsup, inksb.
My profoundo Rosso hasn't shipped, purchased it the minute it went live. Am only wanting it to arrive so I can list it on discogs since I got the 3LP Waxwork version
By havershaw
Revolver_OcelScott wrote: My profoundo Rosso hasn't shipped, purchased it the minute it went live. Am only wanting it to arrive so I can list it on discogs since I got the 3LP Waxwork version
I ordered it the minute it went live, too. I have the Waxwork but I want to compare them before I'm sure which one I want to sell (or maybe I'll keep both?).

The Waxwork sounds awesome, I'll say that.
By deafmetal
Here is my current “reissue OCD abomination” box set:

The origInal MCA and Varèse sleeves for II and III will not fit in this box. They made ‘em big back then...
By Hatter313
oh i miss the DW quotes on the spine
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:oh i miss the DW quotes on the spine
Ditto!

PS - Solid mash up, Deaf.
By havershaw
Got my Halloween 40th Anniversary vinyl today.

thoughts:
I ordered one of each color. I figured the Orange obi strip was probably the solid orange (the other obi strip was red) but noooope, the red obi strip is the orange (which is slightly translucent).

Anyway, this thing sounds pretty much like I would have wanted it to sound. A few songs have weird ducking for dialogue/sound effects, which surprised me somewhat. I just assumed they’d ride the volume on each song to reverse the ducking, and they may have done that in some songs (because I expected a little more ducking), but there are still a few weird ducks here and there - not many though.

Once in a while you can *kind of * hear ghostly dialogue too - it’s really faint though, and I only heard a couple of spots.

But sonically, I love it. It’s a best-case scenario for me. The mastering is killer on this. I think I expected it to be more lo-fi and it’s got impressive clarity and low end. I only listened to the orange copy, but it was pretty much whisper-quiet, in terms of the pressing. Once in a while there’s some weird hiss which is obviously baked into the recording itself, which I expect, but overall, I just love this.
By havershaw
The box set is pretty much bulging though. Thank god I put these in sleeves because there’d be no way to pull these out if you didn’t have a sleeve to tug on.
Attachments
8D2DF6AD-D322-45EE-A22F-3BFC9A6417C5.jpeg
8D2DF6AD-D322-45EE-A22F-3BFC9A6417C5.jpeg (174.98 KiB) Viewed 6135 times
By ScoJo
havershaw wrote:Got my Halloween 40th Anniversary vinyl today.

thoughts:
I ordered one of each color. I figured the Orange obi strip was probably the solid orange (the other obi strip was red) but noooope, the red obi strip is the orange (which is slightly translucent).

Anyway, this thing sounds pretty much like I would have wanted it to sound. A few songs have weird ducking for dialogue/sound effects, which surprised me somewhat. I just assumed they’d ride the volume on each song to reverse the ducking, and they may have done that in some songs (because I expected a little more ducking), but there are still a few weird ducks here and there - not many though.

Once in a while you can *kind of * hear ghostly dialogue too - it’s really faint though, and I only heard a couple of spots.

But sonically, I love it. It’s a best-case scenario for me. The mastering is killer on this. I think I expected it to be more lo-fi and it’s got impressive clarity and low end. I only listened to the orange copy, but it was pretty much whisper-quiet, in terms of the pressing. Once in a while there’s some weird hiss which is obviously baked into the recording itself, which I expect, but overall, I just love this.
This is a great review, thanks @HS!

Annoyingly, I went and pre-ordered my retail copy in the end, and it still hasn't shipped - yet walked into my local B&M today and he had a damn stack of 'em. Ggrrr....could be listening to it RIGHT NOW!! :(

To ease the wait, I did pick up Hotel Artemis (Martinez) and Hellbound so I have plenty to occupy my deck (both double LPs no less!)
By Hatter313
Yeah mine should be at my place today, but i had the same thought when i put 2-5 in the box, how on earth is 1 going to fit in there...
By inksb
Mine is pretty packed as well and I didn't even bother with the new version of H2. I tried to fit the new H'18 soundtrack in there but no dice with out potential harm.

I hate the camera on my phone, it struggles so much to focus.
By deafmetal
havershaw wrote:The box set is pretty much bulging though. Thank god I put these in sleeves because there’d be no way to pull these out if you didn’t have a sleeve to tug on.
Oh man, even the sleeve text for the new reissues do not even line up in any kind of sensible fashion... the mind reels.
By static14
No clear upfront dialogue. Some muffled dialogue and fx in the back of the mix especially on side 1.
By havershaw
milliondollars wrote:quick question on the new H1 repress. is that one with, or without dialogue?
I only heard a few spots where you could barely hear some ghostly dialogue or effects. I think I only found two tracks that had it.

I listened to this again this morning, and I seriously can’t believe what a great job they did with this.
I absolutely love the sound of this thing. Definitely my favorite presentation of this score.

It just *feels* like 1978. I can’t explain it better than that.
By Mateo Sanboval
^^
That's pretty awesome.
ˇˇ
Last edited by Mateo Sanboval on Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DigitalHiss
havershaw wrote:
It just *feels* like 1978. I can’t explain it better than that.
That is how I felt as well. I've only listened to it once but it felt very connected to the film experience...even more so than the version with actual dialogue from the film.

I actually like the cover for H1. I'm glad they didn't go the "cartoony" route that seems popular these days. People bitching about Michael "never being behind a rainy window!!!" are picking dandelions out in left field.

The lack of any liner notes is weird to me. It seems there's no shortage of Halloween/Carpenter/film score knowledgeable professional writers out there that would gladly write something to include. Or anything from Howarth/Plotkin or anyone involved with this new rendition of the score about how it all came to be and how it was done. If I was Death Waltz I'd be super proud of this release and want to tell everyone about it. God knows Halloween/soundtrack fans are going to ask questions anyways and love behind the scenes stories.

The sound was very good although I heard a few quick squeaks (?) during the long drone parts. I'll have to listen again closer and see if it has something to do with my stereo...anyone else notice this?
By chiefbrody
My copy arrived a couple of days ago, but my turntable is packed away as we're preparing to move house.

Strangely, @digitalhiss, I both like the cover/effect and also sympathise a little with the Uproar over the rain. It just feels strange to me to have ignored the source material.

Looking forward to hearing this one, the only one of the new issues I've picked up (so far). I'm thinking I need 5, after listening to Alan Howarth on the Scored to Death podcast. Not sure IV is my cup of tea.