Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By SpaceCadet
It's also probably getting a lot of traction thanks to the 4k restoration touring the US, and for some reason the regular old 35mm showing up in a lot of cities this Halloween.

Of course, the 4k Synapse Films steelbook release will also include a CD with extra unreleased tracks....
By Mateo Sanboval
SpaceCadet wrote:It's also probably getting a lot of traction thanks to the 4k restoration touring the US, and for some reason the regular old 35mm showing up in a lot of cities this Halloween.

Of course, the 4k Synapse Films steelbook release will also include a CD with extra unreleased tracks....
Does the Synapse CD have unreleased tracks or the same extra tracks that were previously unreleased but appeared on the cinevox Cd a few years ago and are now on the new cinevox box set?
By SpaceCadet
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Does the Synapse CD have unreleased tracks or the same extra tracks that were previously unreleased but appeared on the cinevox Cd a few years ago and are now on the new cinevox box set?
Couldn't say! It's gotta be the ones released previously though, right? I imagine they'd be touting the CD even moreso if it were "EXCLUSIVE MATERIALS".
By Mateo Sanboval
SpaceCadet wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Does the Synapse CD have unreleased tracks or the same extra tracks that were previously unreleased but appeared on the cinevox Cd a few years ago and are now on the new cinevox box set?
Couldn't say! It's gotta be the ones released previously though, right? I imagine they'd be touting the CD even moreso if it were "EXCLUSIVE MATERIALS".
My thoughts exactly, but I really have no idea. I leave all matters Goblin (save viewing them from a hazy distance) to my betters.
By deafmetal
lazyben wrote:Um, that was a 7" released in 2016.
Oops, got my wires crossed there. I think I was looking at the box set preorder and hopped over to this link.
By lazyben
deafmetal wrote:
lazyben wrote:Um, that was a 7" released in 2016.
Oops, got my wires crossed there. I think I was looking at the box set preorder and hopped over to this link.
It's the witches
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
SpaceCadet wrote:
My thoughts exactly, but I really have no idea. I leave all matters Goblin (save viewing them from a hazy distance) to my betters.

Oh yes, let’s discuss the synapse release.....can we please......

Man I’m really gonna be glad when it drops and I never have to go to that website again
By Mateo Sanboval
Hahaha...
By Mateo Sanboval
Suspiria dissection:

By Spun out of control
Lovely stuff @mateo - and you got one of the red ones! I'm happy I managed to snag an order for the blue on the Mondo site in the few seconds they were available...

Love the detail of the head poking through the glass ceiling.

Still have this score ringing in my ears from a screening of the 4K restoration and a Q&A with Argento afterwards earlier this week. The first 15 to 20 minutes are a real cacophony of score and sound effects - and the theatre I saw it in (London's Barbican) really seemed to have cranked up their sound system. I also noticed on the credits - and Argento confirmed afterwards - that the score was a real collaboration between himself and Goblin.

Someone also asked him if he believed in magic and the occult himself...to which he gave a great answer: "I don't believe in magic, only the magic of the movies."

(PS - not quite sure why the pupils are white in that cover portrait? Reference to The Beyond, rather than Suspiria?)
By Mateo Sanboval
That is awesome, Spun. I would've loved to have Argento at my local screening, but alas. How long did he speak for?

I've wondered about how much input a director has when working with a band, rather than a composer or two, on a film's score.

To your cover query, I'm not sure why the eyes are white. I just chalked it up to artistic choice. Everything else does seem really deliberate and detailed, though. Maybe someone will ask Randy Ortiz?
By Spun out of control
The Argento Q&A was half hour to 40 minutes max I guess... someone was filming it side of stage, so I'm guessing it will show up online at some point, or on a Blu ray release perhaps?

The evening was hosted by Cult Films who are putting out a 4K restoration over here - perhaps it will be on that.

He spoke in English throughout, which was a little shaky at first (but 1000% better than my Italian) but he seemed to warm up and become more confident towards the end, so it was a shame in a way that it ended when it did. Mind you by then it was 10.30/11pm at night and there was no signing afterwards, unfortunately.

I guess how much involvement the director has with the composer/s of the movie really varies. But sounds like Argento really shaped the sound of Suspiria with the band (of whom he was already a fan and had worked with before of course), or at least that was my impression. Seeing the film on the big screen with a proper sound system felt like seeing it with fresh eyes and ears.
Attachments
An evening with Dario Argento.jpeg
An evening with Dario Argento.jpeg (206.56 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
Last edited by Spun out of control on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mateo Sanboval
Spun out of control wrote:The Argento Q&A was half hour to 40 minutes max I guess... someone was filming it side of stage, so I'm guessing it will show up online at some point, or on a Blu ray release perhaps?

The evening was hosted by Cult Films who are putting out a 4K restoration over here - perhaps it will be on that.

He spoke in English throughout, which was a little shaky at first (but 1000% better than my Italian) but he seemed to warm up and become more confident towards the end, so it was a shame in a way that it ended when it did. Mind you by then it was 10.30/11pm at night and there was no signing afterwards, unfortunately.

I guess how much involvement the director has with the composer/s of the movie really varies. But sounds like Argento really shaped the sound of Suspiria with the band (of whom he was already a fan and had worked with before of course), or at least that was my impression. Seeing the film on the big screen with a proper sound system felt like seeing it with fresh eyes and ears.
Just the rainstorm alone was so damn loud on the restoration and with a 2017 sound system; we knew we were in for something massive right from the jump.
By Peek-a-boo
I bought the red vinyl when I was at Utrecht Fair last weekend however there seems to be a skip fault with the pressing midway through side B. Anyone else found this problem?
By Little Walter
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Spun out of control wrote:The Argento Q&A was half hour to 40 minutes max I guess... someone was filming it side of stage, so I'm guessing it will show up online at some point, or on a Blu ray release perhaps?

Just the rainstorm alone was so damn loud on the restoration and with a 2017 sound system; we knew we were in for something massive right from the jump.
Whoa. I haven't the words to convey my jealousy.
By ChrisMcQueen007
Little Walter wrote:Whoa. I haven't the words to convey my jealousy.
Yes, would love to go to one of these screenings (even without Argento that would be fantastic).
So waiting for that Synapse blue...
By Mateo Sanboval
Peek-a-boo wrote:I bought the red vinyl when I was at Utrecht Fair last weekend however there seems to be a skip fault with the pressing midway through side B. Anyone else found this problem?
Gah! I hope not. We are doing some minor home repairs and my turntable is currently deamplified.
By Peek-a-boo
Please ignore & apologies because the pressing is really heavy! I have now replayed this on my proper home system & it’s perfect. It did get stuck on my other turntable tho weirdly...
By Mateo Sanboval
Peek-a-boo wrote:Please ignore & apologies because the pressing is really heavy! I have now replayed this on my proper home system & it’s perfect. It did get stuck on my other turntable tho weirdly...
Ah, good news indeed.
By Bezulsqy
I was hoping of seeing a copy of this pop up somewhere for a decent price. Did not expect 2000 copies sell out as fast as they did. Although a have the beautiful new AMS/Cinveox re-issue I would love a copy of this one to simply look at. That artwork is stunning.
By Mateo Sanboval
Bezulsqy wrote:I was hoping of seeing a copy of this pop up somewhere for a decent price. Did not expect 2000 copies sell out as fast as they did. Although a have the beautiful new AMS/Cinveox re-issue I would love a copy of this one to simply look at. That artwork is stunning.
Maybe your Secret Santa will bring you one.
By Bezulsqy
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Bezulsqy wrote:I was hoping of seeing a copy of this pop up somewhere for a decent price. Did not expect 2000 copies sell out as fast as they did. Although a have the beautiful new AMS/Cinveox re-issue I would love a copy of this one to simply look at. That artwork is stunning.
Maybe your Secret Santa will bring you one.
Ha!