Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By vi_resmusic
It's okay shit happens. To be honest I am really digging the CD atm and am happy. It has all the sizzle that I think is the essence of this recording. You can hear the over biasing of the master reel on Pink Room Noise and crackle just pisses all over the atmosphere. I'm just being a cranky old soundy.

Cassette would be cool too.
By deafmetal
vi_resmusic wrote:Edit: It is symbolic of how stupid we as vinyl consumers can be.
@vi_res - It's a legit complaint. I usually feel stuck in the middle, as I appreciate the artistic endeavor of color/splatter/haze vinyl, as well as chasing the best possible audio fidelity. That said, SACD/DVD-A just do not get me as excited as vinyl, and I really tried to get into that digital realm over a decade ago. The world might be a better place if all these albums were released on black vinyl, but I think the low-quality reissues would still plague us.

Ah well...
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:It's okay shit happens. To be honest I am really digging the CD atm and am happy. It has all the sizzle that I think is the essence of this recording. You can hear the over biasing of the master reel on Pink Room Noise and crackle just pisses all over the atmosphere. I'm just being a cranky old soundy.

I have these on cassette and they are terrific.
By vi_resmusic
deafmetal wrote:
vi_resmusic wrote:Edit: It is symbolic of how stupid we as vinyl consumers can be.
@vi_res - It's a legit complaint. I usually feel stuck in the middle, as I appreciate the artistic endeavor of color/splatter/haze vinyl, as well as chasing the best possible audio fidelity. That said, SACD/DVD-A just do not get me as excited as vinyl, and I really tried to get into that digital realm over a decade ago. The world might be a better place if all these albums were released on black vinyl, but I think the low-quality reissues would still plague us.

Ah well...

@deafmetal. I appreciate your preference and I usually swing to analogue myself hence me paying >$70 AUD for this release. I did an A/B comparison between the CD and vinyl. To be fair they are close. The CD was airy and articulated at the top, the vinyl was dull and undefined but nice and warm down low. It took a couple of minutes of switching between the two but favoured the CD with a slight lift at 150hz on amp to compensate for digital coldness and to my taste that was better than this particular record. I think that the actual quality can be a lot better so I am willing to try again with a more sensible,black disc. It serves myself right for splurging hard on a hipster twat version.
By vi_resmusic
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
vi_resmusic wrote:It's okay shit happens. To be honest I am really digging the CD atm and am happy. It has all the sizzle that I think is the essence of this recording. You can hear the over biasing of the master reel on Pink Room Noise and crackle just pisses all over the atmosphere. I'm just being a cranky old soundy.

I have these on cassette and they are terrific.
I have TP OP on cassette and it sounds sweet. It's legal here to tape one copy of a purchased record and I have some nice TDK SA,SA-X and SA-XS tapes here so I might have a little play and see how it sounds.
By vi_resmusic
To be fair...Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I think that to license the same record to two different labels,on the the same format,to be released within a couple of months of each other is dirty work. I can only imagine what other tactics could be at play with license prices and master qualities but that's only my imagination at play. Manufacturing is outsourced too. Then again,I'm the only cunt who is complaining.
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:Then again,I'm the only cunt who is complaining.
You must not read Discogs reviews.
By vi_resmusic
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Oh really? No I don't. I haven't delved far into the Discogs world.
By Mateo Sanboval
vi_resmusic wrote:
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Oh really? No I don't. I haven't delved far into the Discogs world.
Not necessarily a bad thing.
By vi_resmusic
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
Where on the site are the reviews? I can't find them.
By vi_resmusic
Oh really? No I don't. I haven't delved far into the Discogs world.[/quote]
Not necessarily a bad thing.[/quote]

Haha! I'm not a very avid collector. I don't know much about different releases and their prestige or anything like that. I just look for music that I like to listen to. I dunno shit!
By chiefbrody
I'm thinking of buying this, but the horror sound quality reviews are putting me off. Does anyone have a view on the Warner/Rhino vs DW releases? The DW release is beautiful, and being 2 LPs has the potential to sound amazing, but SQ complaints and a fair few warped DW releases I've received in the past are pushing me towards the cheaper, reliable 180g black circle.
By vi_resmusic
chiefbrody wrote:I'm thinking of buying this, but the horror sound quality reviews are putting me off. Does anyone have a view on the Warner/Rhino vs DW releases? The DW release is beautiful, and being 2 LPs has the potential to sound amazing, but SQ complaints and a fair few warped DW releases I've received in the past are pushing me towards the cheaper, reliable 180g black circle.

I have both DW and Warner versions. The differences in SQ are like night and day.
By vi_resmusic
chiefbrody wrote:I'm thinking of buying this, but the horror sound quality reviews are putting me off. Does anyone have a view on the Warner/Rhino vs DW releases? The DW release is beautiful, and being 2 LPs has the potential to sound amazing, but SQ complaints and a fair few warped DW releases I've received in the past are pushing me towards the cheaper, reliable 180g black circle.

I have both DW and Warner releases. The differences in SQ are like night and day.