Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By kumachan
Okay, it was my mistake, I followed the link from the announcement email which I had saved in my calendar, this went direct to Death Waltz listing and bypassed the front page where it was on sale. I've got my record now and been burned, unhappy but that is the nature of this business I guess.

My comment is not meant to sound offensive on how I view Mondo, Spencer. I feel that many of their releases rely more on what I call gimmicky packaging than the contents of the release (and what others may call "quality packaging with a fine attention to detail"). A lot of people like that, I read a while back that a large percentage of the increase in record sales don't get played just looked at, so it is a criticism both positive and negative. DW's merger with Mondo seems to have attracted more buyers making it harder to get releases, plus you pay $20 shipping now, I would be happier if Mondo went back to being Mondo and Death Waltz went back to being Death Waltz and they didn't cross-contaminate. I was particularly happy when I could subscribe and ensure I got everything without any hassle, I really don't like these feeding frenzy drops where its there for 5 minutes and gone after that.
By aeonblack
[quote=72880]
I can’t please all the people all the time and lately I can’t please anybody . ….

[/quote]

So isn't that a sign that something isn't right? That maybe a change needs to be made?

I'm lifeaftersocialmedia on instagram, and I'll reiterate what I said there. It isn't about the product or even the price. It's about being able to get it. If there are plans to do another run of normal black vinyl in non-gatefold, non-limited run, why not just release those at the same time?

Honestly, I think a sub for both dw and mondo would completely eliminate these problems. I can understand during the merger why it was eliminated, but now that DW and Mondo releases are essentially separate again (though sold through the same place), it makes complete sense.

I really don't like being a naysayer, but this practice is making it hard to keep enjoying the label. I've been with it since sub 2 (and was picking them up individually before that), and while I don't want to stop getting these great releases, lately it seems like I don't have a choice. Make it easier for the true fans of the label and the releases to get their hands on them!
By Statochess

I do miss having the opportunity to purchase a coloured variant, and I have noticed that my local independent record stores in Belfast are charging more for Mondo/Death Waltz releases than they did this time last year for Death Waltz only releases. So that would be the 2 negatives. HOWEVER. the Transmission site is really strong and through it I have been able to get Waxwork and One Way Static releases for under £20 each. That for me is a result for both my wallet and my record collection.
One question though - why limited to 500 for the gatefold and splatter variant? Why will the gatefold not be available for retail black? Did the artist stipulate this or is it a marketing policy? Obviously someone made a decision to limit it in this particular way and am curious to know the reasons behind that decision.
By deathwaltz
I must be missing a trick here or I am mental ...

I HAVE ALWAYS MADE A RETAIL VERSION AVAILABLE IN RECORD STORES ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS AFTER RELEASE , I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS SINCE DAY ONE AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO..

NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT THE FACT THAT WE NOW SHIP FROM THE USA ....

The fact that we have someone two posts up saying how they are going to leave Negative feedback because they were inpatient and didn't read the original post correctly just fills me with dismay if I am honest . I assume because we are the original labels we are now seen as uncool or worthy of kicking ? I'm not singling you out Kumachan just puzzled by this response .

It's all I am saying on the subject , I have spent all week taking abuse on FB and Instagram and quite frankly I am not prepared to take it here . Buy or don't buy, it's your choice.

By seb
Could not have said it better! Amen Spencer
By aeonblack
My choice is to buy, and I want to buy the fancy version, but I can't because I work a job during the time these always go on sale. That's the only real complaint I'm seeing. I'll buy the retail version when it hits stores, sure, but it would be nice to get the version I want.

Anyways, I'm done talking about it as well. It's clear things are not going to change and we're all just wasting our breathe.
By Revolver_OcelScott
I agree 100%, especially the eBay part, boggled my mind. From someone who cares, thanks for all the work you put in, you rock!
By The Dentist
Uhm, so rather than making this about some bigger issue maybe people could just admit that they are disappointed they did not snag a copy. The likely reason for that is due to the fact interest was probably much higher than anticipated and it sold out quicker than even the label anticipated.

I did not get a copy, which is disappointing, but, then again, I too did not anticipate there would be that much interest in a Nico Fidenco score ( no disrespect, Nico) to a relatively obscure Italian splatter film.
By MODAREC
That would be awesome Spencer, will do.
Sure most of us here agree it's totally ridiculous that you are feeling this way the day you put out such a great release. Don't let the few get you down. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those who complain would only flip the record themselves if they had got a copy.
By texasvinyl
Me reading Instagram comments:

My favorites are "random time, AKA Fuck You" and "another day, another disgraceful release"

They're a badge of honor! Means the release is le titties
By StrangeVices
Every time I read ignorant and just straight up mean comments I always want to ask these fools, "how's your label doing and how many records have you released?"

Miserable folks.

The fact that Zombi Holocaust is being released already makes it one of the best of the year. No matter what scene you're into, there will always be those bad apples.
By Captain_Cravat
Disengaging lurk mode for moment to say thank you to @spencer. As a relative newbie to collecting I do miss the sub as it helped building up killer releases without too much trouble. But my only moans is it would be nice to know if and when there is a chance of UK site selling the web store version like TSCOYBT at Rough Trade and that there is too much good stuff coming to keep up with :-)

I had been taking chances with the UK customs charge roulette, but it's good to know I can ask nicely to have the values changed.
By repulsion
This score is a total gem to me, finally I can dump my cassette. thanks a lot Spencer!!!! I am also going to buy the retail version for sure!!

May trade my DW/mondo copy for an Uncle Acid "night creeper" die hard edition copy... :) let me know if you have one and are willing to trade. Ha, guess this won't happen...
By kumachan
My comments aren't aimed at you Spencer, you haven't done anything wrong, I'm very happy you have put this out. I am annoyed that someone has bought a record I wanted and sold it instantly, I think anyone in my position would be a little annoyed, I'm just a little more vocal about the situation. Please accept my apologies if I have been an asshole about this situation. I was under the impression this was a one off release, that's down to me misreading the email earlier in the week. I'll shut up now.

By bpwlogan
Dam, I really wanted this one. I forgot that it was going to drop today, crazy day at work. The retail one is cool with me though. I take it we will be able to get one at the Mondo/Death Waltz site in a few weeks. If anyone knows let me know.
By Little Walter
I can't wait to get this in hand.

Also, I haven't had one trouble with Mondo or Death Waltz since the merger. I really don't get what the fucking problem is.
By flapdoodle
I think whether you have a problem depends on

a) Which side of the Atlantic you are based.
b) Whether you missed the album going online.
c) Are obsessed with getting variants

I too cannot wait to get this one!
By deafmetal
@bpwlogan - Keep an eye out over at LitA over the next couple weeks as well.
By bpwlogan
Thanks Deaf.
By Aremagod
The problem is everyone is caught up in the collector "oooooooo it's limited" mode. I say get rid of all colors and press every vinyl release of every record ever to be pressed in classic black.
By legnadibrom
I have to say that I wish everyone who wanted this deluxe version could've snagged one today,
but it's hard to criticize a label that's given us Cannibal Apocalypse, Killer Nun, Absurd, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, and now Zombie Holocaust....and that's just the past few months,
awesome releases
By Thequass
Wow. After reading this and the Instagram comments I'm a bit baffled that people are freaking out so much about this. It's not like this was a server crash mess and then a whelp we're all sold out. This was up for a while. There was plenty opportunity for anyone that really wanted this.
By maxvelvet
I try to avoid entering these discussions but when it comes to records like this (Zombi Holocaust) the point to me it's only I MUST HAVE so I'm here on this forum also to have more chances and info on new releases. I also subscribe to emails from labels, and even having friends in my country, which are like me, that shot an sms when these records drop online! So apart when a site crash (it's happened really rarely) or when there are things like ComicCon leftovers and ultralimited stuff (like Friday 13th "bloodfiled", which is only a matter of luck) I really never missed an album. That's it, I have also a calendar at work with all the scheduled releases that I know and the day of sale I put an alarm on my phone (1 hour before)...I mean I'm not a kind of Maniac (well...maybe! :D ) but if you aren't in this kind of mood of buying records and collecting... then the retail version it's for you and you can buy without problem or stress! ;) :D
By The Cult Leader
If you missed the variant or Zombi Holocaust it's your own fault. Stop blaming others just because you didn't get the color vinyl you wanted.
Spencer let us all know that the variant was limited to 500 copies and would most likely go fast, If you didn't prepare its your fault. Try and reach out to one of us next time there's a drop you don't think you will be around for. You have a whole community of like minded people here, who are happy to help buddy vinyl to people who won't be able to get in the drops for whatever reason.

And please don't try and speculate about the choices Death Waltz/Mondo make, they are professionals, you are not. If they decided to press 500 copies instead of 1000, they have a reason for it.

By Statochess
I am not sure who your comments are aimed at Cultleader. For the record (ahem), I did in fact consider purchasing this but given that I have spent £200 through Transmission in the past couple of months (don't tell the Mrs)I couldn't justify it. But it did raise some interesting questions for me which is why I wanted to start a discussion around the Death Waltz buy-out.
"And please don’t try and speculate about the choices Death Waltz/Mondo make, they are professionals, you are not. If they decided to press 500 copies instead of 1000, they have a reason for it." Um, why is a customer not allowed to speculate about business decisions? Are we living in a totalitarian state? Ordinarily, if you are not content with service provision you can go to another supplier. However, in this instance that is not possible. Also, why refer to Mondo as professional and 'you are not'? Is this simply to invalidate any argument that is made by the 'non-professional? This has something of the straw man about it. I think it is perfectly legitimate to ask why 500 of a particular colour were produced. And what is the reason for lack of gatefold for the retail edition. All Spencer needs to do is answer these reasonable questions and that would help me and others understand the process, and as a consequence there may be less negative commentary on the forum. Hopefully a 'commercial in confidence' line will not be used!
Anyway, here's to a reasonable and reasoned discussion on these issues.