Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By havershaw
I, too, am curious about this master.

Howarth supervised the mastering (unless I’m wrong) on the recent Mondo Halloween, and that’s excellent. Halloween III also seemed to be pretty good.

Halloween 4 and II, however, suffer from some weird compression issues, where the low end notes seem to make the rest of the mix duck.

I don’t have the previous H2 pressing (nurse hat) so I don’t know if this is an issue with that, or if it’s a new master issue. But if it’s a recent remaster and POD is too, then I’d be worried.

I do have an original (but kinda beat) POD Varese pressing from when I was a kid, and I have the frosted clear one RI from a few years ago. I haven’t compared them yet, but I’ll order this new one and compare all three and probably sell whichever version(s) I like the least.
By Mateo Sanboval
Hevershaw, there's a recent little corner of this board that would love to read the details of just such a comparison.
By havershaw
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Hevershaw, there's a recent little corner of this board that would love to read the details of just such a comparison.
is there a thread I should be looking for? I haven’t found it yet, if so, but it’s been a looooong day so maybe I’m just being dense.

When I got heavily back into vinyl a couple of years ago, I was amazed at how few qualitative comparisons there are online between original pressings and reissues. Not just with OSTs, but in general. I looked everywhere, trying to figure out if I should buy the reissues or plunk down big bucks for originals.
I came to terms with the fact that I’d just have to buy both and then try to decide which one is the keeper. Sometimes it’s super easy, sometimes it’s painful because there are things I like about both (and then I usually keep both).
By Hatter313
Mateo Sanboval wrote:Hevershaw, there's a recent little corner of this board that would love to read the details of just such a comparison.
The most maddening corner of our little patch of digital existence
By havershaw
inksb wrote:@mateo shared this link with me, http://www.spintheblackestcircles.com/b ... nreadposts
It's all unread posts. It helps keep you in the loop and introduces you to threads in topics you have never been into before (at least it did for me,lol) Also it's at the top under the forum drop down menu.
THANK YOU!

I know I’m just an idiot, but I literally never scrolled down to see all of the threads outside the main folders. I didn’t even know they were there, somehow.

I’m seriously amazed I never stumbled across them, but as mentioned, I may be an idiot.
By inksb
Coming this week.

WARRIORS OF THE YEAR 2072 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Pre-Order). Artwork by Luke Insect. Pressed on 180 Gram Red, Blue and Purple Swirl vinyl. Expected to Ship in April 2019. Ships Worldwide. $25

In 1984, Lucio Fulci directed a dystopian sci-fi epic called WARRIORS OF THE YEAR 2072. In the film, the world is ruled by TV networks, two of which are in a bitter ratings battle. In finding ways to out do each other, one network decides to host a Roman centurion-style battle to the death featuring convicted murderers fighting each other on motorcycles (wait is this a documentary?). As you would expect from Fulci, it’s outrageous, silly, super entertaining and full of over-the-top violence.

Maestro Riz Ortolani composed the score, and he delivers one of his most bombastic, striking and fun scores. It's loaded with killer synth lines, chunky riffs and pounding synthetic drums.

I almost overlooked this due to the title. I knew the film by the title The New Gladiators. Happened to see Riz Ortolani and then actually read the description. I may have to pick this up.

The two tracks here are pretty great
Attachments
new glad1.PNG
new glad1.PNG (497.16 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
By Mateo Sanboval
inksb wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 pm Coming this week.

WARRIORS OF THE YEAR 2072 - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Pre-Order). Artwork by Luke Insect. Pressed on 180 Gram Red, Blue and Purple Swirl vinyl. Expected to Ship in April 2019. Ships Worldwide. $25

In 1984, Lucio Fulci directed a dystopian sci-fi epic called WARRIORS OF THE YEAR 2072. In the film, the world is ruled by TV networks, two of which are in a bitter ratings battle. In finding ways to out do each other, one network decides to host a Roman centurion-style battle to the death featuring convicted murderers fighting each other on motorcycles (wait is this a documentary?). As you would expect from Fulci, it’s outrageous, silly, super entertaining and full of over-the-top violence.

Maestro Riz Ortolani composed the score, and he delivers one of his most bombastic, striking and fun scores. It's loaded with killer synth lines, chunky riffs and pounding synthetic drums.

I almost overlooked this due to the title. I knew the film by the title The New Gladiators. Happened to see Riz Ortolani and then actually read the description. I may have to pick this up.

The two tracks here are pretty great
Yeah. This is great news. An absolutely killer score. Nice to see DWRC following through on this series. And for a bonus, I can even live with the art on this one, late 2000s teal and magenta color push aside.
By reddye6
DWC posted a teaser for a Twin Peaks release. Anyone know if it is a reissue or new tracks?
By inksb
The quote is from The Return and people are saying the image is as well so assuming this is a just a DW/Mondo repackage of the Warner stuff. Also in the same string of tweets Spencer showed a picture of the RSD release of S2 and said he'd been listening to that for the last two weeks.
By havershaw
I am slightly baffled as to how they could think that a lot of folks will buy another packaging of the S3 records (this would be the third release of the same thing). I could be wrong (and this packaging is really cool), but it seems like an awful lot of expense for a repackaging of a soundtrack that’s been released once a year for the past two years.
By Occhionero
Question about "Profound Rosso" (DW): Mad Puppet (Track 3 - Side 1). On other releases the spinning time is mentioned with 6:30. On this release the length is 5:40. Was it edited?
Last edited by Occhionero on Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By monsterworship
havershaw wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:14 am I am slightly baffled as to how they could think that a lot of folks will buy another packaging of the S3 records (this would be the third release of the same thing). I could be wrong (and this packaging is really cool), but it seems like an awful lot of expense for a repackaging of a soundtrack that’s been released once a year for the past two years.
i noticed that the first release Limited Event series OST vinyl is on sale at Amazon for $12.57.
By inksb
Thanks for the heads up @monster I grabbed that for $13. For some weird reason I've never bought any of the Twin Peaks LPs even though I love the soundtracks. I currently have my discogs set up to let me know of any good deals on Fire Walk With Me but because I want the pressing not readily available in the US, the prices while cheap need to be real cheap due to shipping.
By havershaw
inksb, I want that EU pressing of FWWM also but I’m in the same boat as you.
I feel like I looked into it a while back and Amazon was a pretty good option (I think that’s how I got the new EU version of the original soundtrack).

At several of the local record stores I go to, I always notice that they have more copies of these S3 soundtracks collecting dust on their shelves than anything else. Which is partially why I’m baffled that they could think there’s a big market for yet another release of S3.

I’m a pretty major TP fan but I can’t see myself buying any other iteration of S3.
By inksb
Yeah S3 you see everywhere, it's so widely available online and in local record shops. Who knows it may have just been part of the license they got and figured why not try and make some money on it. If they keep the pressing small, do some ridiculous "limited" variant of a limited pressing then they will sell.
By havershaw
Yeah, I saw that too. I really hope that means they’re going to have a repress available for sale on the site soon. That’s one title I don’t have.
By deafmetal
NoES is a gem, and I hope they keep pressing copies if you don't have one in your collection. That main theme is part of our shared DNA now. I've had quite a few hair-raising listens late at night in headphones.