Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By deafmetal
As ZFE/Zombi 2 remains one of my favorite DW releases, I have been researching a few questions regarding the original release:

- I have read that 300 copies of the splatter vinyl were pressed, and 1,000 black vinyl, but how many copies of the red vinyl were pressed? 1,000?
- Are the Fabio Frizzi and Graham Humphreys signatures on the included poster printed or live ink? They look printed to my amateur eye, but I am looking for confirmation to share with others.

It's a lot of fun to revisit the first DW release, and also to compare the overall package to something like the deluxe version of City of the Living Dead released in 2014. It is incredible how DW has grown in just two years, and also how the art design/packaging has grown along with it. The upcoming remastered/repackaged ZFE is likely to be a very beautiful thing indeed.

Cheers to DW/Spencer, and congrats on your success and how far you have taken this love for soundtracks. My first viewing of "Zombi 2" many many years ago in the US was my introduction to both Fulci and Fabio Frizzi, and kicked off a long-burning obsession with the Maestro's work. It has been a thrill to ride the DW roller coaster and listen to these soundtracks on quality vinyl pressings. As many know, most of the originals (if they even existed) are incredibly difficult to track down.
By Spun out of control
@deafmetal

Know there were poster-sized signed and numbered lithographic prints sold as a fairly limited standalone item to coincide with the original release as I have one... to my eyes I would agree that the ones included with the vinyl were printed signatures however.

Coincidentally I have the splatter vinyl version of this that came with a poster, but the plain red variant I picked up before it did not.

Don't know if that helps any... but, like I'm sure a few on this forum, have been looking forward to the promised deluxe re-press for a while - guess it went on the back-burner when all the Mondo merger stuff happened.
By deafmetal
@Spun - Yeah, I remember the lithograph poster, especially as I was too broke at the time to order either the poster or the first DW subscription. Also, I have read a lot of reports that the poster inclusion was hit/miss with the red vinyl repress.

Anybody else? Spencer? :)
By Re-animated Cat
Discussed HERE

and HERE (scroll through to next page)
By deafmetal
Thanks, Cat. I believe that answers the poster question. Does anybody know how many copies of the red vinyl were pressed?
By Re-animated Cat
I would think 500 sounds about right, but 1000 max.
By GaryReeves
I picked my ZFE in a shop in Belfast well after they where sold out which was lucky .... its the splatter version but its the one with no poster/litho
By VinyLOST
i ended up with a copy when i started collecting DW from sub1, pretty much ended up with every variant of every release so far. you broke me Spencer!!!
By MODAREC
I picked up the splatter from Rough Trade after DW had sold out. Came with a big signed poster but no 12" litho. Gutted really, would look great with my other framed Graham Humphreys posters for COTLD, Yellow and HBTC.
By deafmetal
Interesting thing about the ZFE subscriber 12" litho is that it is double-sided with two different pieces of GH artwork.
By scottydoo
Spun out of control wrote:@deafmetal

Know there were poster-sized signed and numbered lithographic prints sold as a fairly limited standalone item to coincide with the original release as I have one... to my eyes I would agree that the ones included with the vinyl were printed signatures however.

Coincidentally I have the splatter vinyl version of this that came with a poster, but the plain red variant I picked up before it did not.

Don't know if that helps any... but, like I'm sure a few on this forum, have been looking forward to the promised deluxe re-press for a while - guess it went on the back-burner when all the Mondo merger stuff happened.
@spun re deluxe repress do you mean this on ?
https://www.discogs.com/Fabio-Frizzi-Zo ... se/6813361
texasvinyl wrote:I need to pare down duplicates... Would you guys keep the red vinyl 45rpm or the "strong uncut" 33rpm gatefold reissue?
I'm partial to the original because it was my first DWRC record (and theirs!), but to my ears the reissue does have improved sound. It might be one of the small handful of albums where I keep both versions, but if you force my hand, I'm keeping the OG.

EDIT - Or just sell 'em all and let The Cult Leader sort 'em out.
Cult bought the OG from me!

Nostalgia piece for sure, I had horror soundtracks before that but it was the one that kicked off the deluxe reissue craze. Remember finding it in Good Records on Greenville Ave in Dallas and thinking "whoaaa I need this" even though the price was something crazy like $45.
Yeah I just want to add how incredible it is to have this even be an option, it is one of the first items to draw me into Death Waltz's catalog. I just couldn't believe it was being treated with such care, of all the film scores to pick! Super quality.
Oh man, remember when this reissue thing wasn't reality? I had a decent collection of stuff, but looking back on it there are titles that I could never track down and own if it weren't for spencer starting all this with that record.

I never had an OG of this, but the 33 reissue was on HEAVY rotation when it dropped, one of the first records I played in my new home.
Oh yes, and please don't bring up that I back in the old Spin days complained that the first edition sounded too slow compared to the Youtube video -- because I didn't realize it was a 45". And that Spencer mentioned it to Fabio Frizzi who had a good old laugh about it... :)
chandler75 wrote:Oh yes, and please don't bring up that I back in the old Spin days complained that the first edition sounded too slow compared to the Youtube video -- because I didn't realize it was a 45". And that Spencer mentioned it to Fabio Frizzi who had a good old laugh about it... :)
That was an all-time classic STBC moment, Chandler. If I recall, other folks fessed up that they'd done the same. I doubt there are many, if any, of us who haven't unintentionally played a record at the wrong speed at sometime or another.
Mateo Sanboval wrote:
chandler75 wrote:Oh yes, and please don't bring up that I back in the old Spin days complained that the first edition sounded too slow compared to the Youtube video -- because I didn't realize it was a 45". And that Spencer mentioned it to Fabio Frizzi who had a good old laugh about it... :)
That was an all-time classic STBC moment, Chandler. If I recall, other folks fessed up that they'd done the same. I doubt there are many, if any, of us who haven't unintentionally played a record at the wrong speed at sometime or another.
The thing was it STILL sounded great at 33. If I hadn't seen the youtube video I would still be playing it like that :D