Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Peek-a-boo
@spencer's commentary after would be really interesting to see too!
By static14
this might make for an interesting twist. http://www.synaptop.com/how-to-watch-mo ... h-friends/

I've never tried it before but it sounds pretty cool. It allows users to upload videos and invite people to watch with you. The "inviter" controls playback but everyone can text or video chat during the show :)

By jgibbs4053
wouldnt it just be easier the original way considering we are from all across the globe?
By chiefbrody
[quote=47553]wouldnt it just be easier the original way considering we are from all across the globe?
[/quote]

I don't think it's practical we all watch at the same time. If we have a 'film of the month' as planned, if some folk in the same time zone want to watch at the same time, great. I'm looking forward to hearing opinions on the movies and also how opinions on the movies/vinyl change after viewings.

I'm really glad there's some enthusiasm for the idea. I've already pencilled in 7th Feb for ZFE, while my wife is out (not a horror fan).
By philball1974
Definately not at the same time. I've got 2 kids under 5, takes me 3-4 sittings to watch a movie!!
By antimax
Sounds cool to me :)
By sonny
I'm in! Sounds like a great idea.
By philball1974
So can a keymaster set up a sub thread called STBC film club and then we can put the first film thread in there and maybe choose the first title and dates it runs til.

Maybe worth having some general rules like no clogging up the threads with off topic stuff? How often the film changes? Etc etc.
By liftman2013
Why not!..

Getting into soundtracks more since all labels have started releasing them - my 16 year old self would have never seen this one coming, and would have called me sad! - but like many others, its caused the going backwards effect of grabbing a soundtrack Ive never heard off, then locating the film afterwards. Got hold of horror business just before xmas.

But I bought ZFE after buying the DW soundtrack on arrow. Ive always wanted to plow through all the extras cos love all that - started but just hard to find the time

Btw do many others have this problem, with soundtracks? Beyond the affording and budgeting for the many great ones out there we want to grab, do people just find it hard to go through all their great purchases between work and family and social lifes, as well as just he idea of spinning a release more than ONCE before going onto another one you haven't yet listened too?

I always wonder this as when members here and others sell their releases on, its normally 'played once' etc. Do we not buy these releases to get countless listening hours out of them...
By philball1974
I buy fewer and listen more. Not so deep as a well and shapwick are both on their 20-30 spins. As for soundtracks I couldn't count how many times I've listened to old boy and the congress already
By zuko
You're not alone liftman. We've got a rampaging 1½-year-old and rarely have the time; most of the music we listen to around the house during the day is just fun stuff through phones, Spotify etc. – but when I do get a chance to put an LP on, it's more of a treat and will give it more concentration.

I justify it to myself that things will calm down in a few years (right?!) and I'll hate to have misssed out on this golden period of soundtracks being pressed.
By zuko
[quote=47559]"Definately not at the same time. I’ve got 2 kids under 5, takes me 3-4 sittings to watch a movie!!"[/quote]

Testify.
By philball1974
[quote=47595]I justify it to myself that things will calm down in a few years (right?!)[/quote]

You couldn't be more wrong! The only thing that changes is they use your records as a frisbee!!
By chiefbrody
@phil - I totally hear you - we have a 9 month old, and we need at least 2 sittings to watch a movie these days. It will be even more difficult for me to watch these as my wife won't entertain it (maybe EFNY, maybe Room 237), so I'll need ot find 2 hours of 'me time' in a month, which is more difficult than it sounds.

@liftman for the same reason, most of my recent record purchases will have had single digit spins. I actually have a backlog, which is getting bigger. I have this idealistic notion of sitting down with headphones and devoting time to my hobby, but in reality I listen to Side A doing the dishes in another room, and hear most of Side B 4 days later! I have the same "maybe in a few years" hope as @zuko, but @phil's just burst both of our bubbles!

I've had a first stab at the 'rules'. I feel bad about number 5, as it means anyone watching at the end of the month has less time to discuss, but otherwise it's either a separate thread each month, or having a crossover where some people are talking about "last month's" movie.

1. Starting in February, we will watch one movie a month, in the order in which the scores were released (subject to 7, below);
2. We will start with the Death Waltz catalogue, starting with DW001 in February 2015;
3. In the first instance, we will not include RSD releases, etc, we will work through Cat #s DW001, DW002, and so on;
4. The movie should be watched within the calendar month; and
5. At the start of each month, we move onto the next cat #, and so does the conversation;
6. Please keep posts 'on topic' - movie/score/both;
7. Where the score is for a seasonally-themed movie (e.g. Halloween, Christmas), we will watch the movies in the appropriate month.
8. Once we 'catch up' with the Death Waltz catalogue, we will decide where we go next (other label, RSD releases, etc).

If we agree to this broadly, we can shift it to an appropriate topic/forum - I agree that "STBC Movie Club" is a better name, as we might branch out (in 3-4 years time!).
By Occhionero
This sounds great for me! (father of a 5 year old boy ;-))Now I hope that my english is good enough to participate (I am German/Italian)

Thanks @chiefbrody for the time and passion.
By zuko
By the way, Death Waltz had more than 12 releases last year, so we may never catch up!
By liftman2013
@zuko - this is very true. Plus with the DW/Mondo merge, more maybe coming at a sharp pace. Still, gives us plenty of options

Its an interesting idea. I would say every 2 weeks but chances are with busy lives once a month is generous enough as it is.

The live messaging as the movie goes on would be awesome though, if it is ever possible..
By DISCOSUCKS...
@chiefbrody - this is a really cool idea!

And @static/@dollarhyde - i love the idea of a sync'd screening!

Maybe I'll be pilloried for suggesting it, but perhaps there's a way to split the club into different "experiences" ; those that want to watch at liesure n report back, those in different territories that want to attempt a sync'd screening experience?

I'd be more than happy to help organise a UK/European sync'd screening each month?

Just throwing it out there......either way, great idea!

By dahousen
Maybe we should split the month and include 2 movies?, first movie from day 1 to 15, second movie from 16-end of the month. It is a suggestion.

If we use the calendar of exact day releases the order won't be the exactly cat number, DW017 hasn't been released yet. In honor to this forum created by THE TWO guys and if its gonna have the name STBC I'd also include OWS cat in that calendar. Example:

DW001 JUN 2012
DW002 JUN 2012
DW003 JUL 2012
DW004 AUG 2012
DW005 SEP 2012
DW006 SEP 2012
DW007 OCT 2012
DW008 OCT 2012
DW009 MAR 2013
DW010 MAR 2013
DW011 JUN 2013
DW012 JUN 2013
DW014 JUN 2013
DW015 OCT 2013
DW016 OCT 2013
OWS01 OCT 2013
DW018 NOV 2013
By Spun out of control
As a father myself I'm very happy with a STBC 'Movie of the Month' or could manage every two weeks at a push ('Film of the Fortnight').

It would be good to read the opinions on here at leisure, so not especially bothered about live messaging 'n' stuff as we'd lose some of that 'archive' potential - but each to their own :)

Love @disco's passion & obvious screening experience however, so when he has the time for organising a break-out session that could perhaps work in tandem with the 'posting at leisure' idea.

As it was @chiefbrody's idea he should get the final say. Thought his and Phil's suggestions were spot on. Keep it simple is best. Just my tuppence.
By DrRhythm
I have a 16 year old daughter and can assure you that there are parental issues all the way along!! Now, of course, we sit down and watch The Walking Dead together but I'll be depressed if she ever stops thinking my musical tastes are weird - I do my best!!
By philball1974
Sounds like we're all onboard then! Great stuff. Looking forward to rewatching let the right one in already.