Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
I've been thinking about this for a few days or so, and thought it might be "fun". So I'm putting it out there.

I've been increasing the size of my DW collection and in some cases I have now heard the soundtrack to a film I know next to nothing about. I can't be alone in that.

How about starting something like a book club, only we watch the DW releases (DVD, streaming, whatever) in the order in which they were released, and then discuss the movie/soundtrack afterwards? I thought it might be a fun way to discover/re-live some classic movies. If you're interested, you might have some suggestions on how we do it, but my thinking is:
- we only watch one a month, so people have time to watch at their leisure, and we don't race through the catalogue;
- we work through by cat #, from DW001. Once we reach the 'end' of that sequence, we think about other releases (e.g. RSD...);
- by exception, we watch the two Halloween movies in October, and the two Christmas themed releases in December, rather than in the normal sequence;
- we start in February with Zombie Flesh Eaters

Any thoughts? Should we make this a DW or 'Film Talk' forum topic? What will we call it? Is this a shit idea? :-)
By TimD
This is a GREAT idea!
By Occhionero
I like the idea and will join the Club.
By philball1974
Wouldn't it be better to have a STBC club and expand beyond DW? Either way, its a cool idea. Im in so long as no one moans about the cost of dvd rental
By Purplemule74
I won't moan about the rental, but I will moan if it costs me a penny to ship a DVD or blu-ray, or if I get a copy that isn't a limited edition color.

Great idea!
By chiefbrody
[quote=47403]Wouldn’t it be better to have a STBC club and expand beyond DW? Either way, its a cool idea. Im in so long as no one moans about the cost of dvd rental[/quote]

I'm not against this. I thought to keep it to DW to keep it manageable (we had cat #s to give us an order). We could either (a) extend to other labels once through DW, or (b) just make it random across the labels on STBC? My preference would be DW first, but I don't plan on making it "my" Club, so whatever the community wants.

I don't know about DVD rental, but I haven't even checked all are easily available - I hope there's not a rush on second hand DVD copies on ebay, driving up prices!!! :-)
By philball1974
Also the raid is only a special feature on the blu isn't it?

Im not fussy, Good reason to watch some classic films!
By chiefbrody
Damn you, Phil! :-)
Yes, I think we would need to have the Blu-ray (US version?), otherwise we could make an exception and just watch the movie, which is never a bad decision.
By jgibbs4053
im in and def think we should include OWS, WW, and Mondo as well.
By albatard
Love the idea, just hope i'll find the time to watch the movies!
By DrRhythm
Good idea - I've sort of been doing this for a while and having the Horror Channel randomly added to my cable package a few months ago has certainly helped (watched Halloween 3 for the first time the other day - great). I've never seen The Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue and there are God knows how many Italian things to catch up on!!
By DrRhythm
Spun - have you watched Nazis At The Centre Of The Earth on there yet? Bonkers!!
By Spun out of control
Not yet but it appeals - it always seems to be showing very late on a 'school' night - Iron Sky is another one I've missed and only ever caught bits n' pieces of Dead Snow. Irrelevant here though perhaps.

Would love an excuse to watch some of the giallo movies. Never seen Lizard in a Woman's Skin for example.

Have the Zombi Arrow blu ray so could certainly join in on that for starters...
By jdubtxn
I have def been thinking of finding a local club to watch movies as a group as I love discussing the experience. If we could have some chat system setup while watching the movie that would be fun as well.
By philball1974
Horror channel is good. Also if people are using netflix two good resources are blockless.com and likeflix.com

One opens up netflix to the world and the other lets you find movies across all regions. Both are perfectly legal.

Good example is SNDN only available to UK and Ireland
By reelybored
Great idea, I am in! Agree that all labels should be included, the more options the better. Would this be something that should be taken to a chat room?
By philball1974
Maybe one of the Mods could set it up like the Deep cuts thread?
By jefflynne
Despite only having one DW recording, I'd be up for this. I've seen a fair few of the movies, but it would be a good excuse to delve into the ones I haven't. Plus, I've got Zombie Flesh Eaters on Blu-ray, so it would be an easy start...!
By deathwaltz
I'll be up for this too (if I am allowed ) ;)
By oaxaca
Nice idea, the people over at cult-labs forums (started by Arrow & Shameless ) have been doing this for a while where all watch a film and comment together. I think they tweet whilst the film is in action, but it leads to difficulties with syncing issues such as frame rate differences between UK/US copies of the film and DVD vs Blu, different cuts, etc, so to get away from all that it may be best, as you guys have suggested already, to watch it at leisure at a random time within a month and then post comments.

Anyway, whatever the format is I'm definitely in :) And I reckon you probably are allowed Spence :p
By Peek-a-boo
Great idea. I bought City of the living dead & Godzilla on DVD recently but haven't watched them yet. For the sake of overload maybe it should start with Death Waltz then move onto the other labels?
By dahousen
This is a great idea, I'm in but I'll try to improve my English for a readable comment/review ha!

I've discovered real gems with DW and OWS releases. Last was Christmas Evil, I couldn't believe this was so so so good, it has a 5.0 out of 10 in iMdb....... A classic for me since.