Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By tonyandrewgiles
@lawrence - this was only for the UK I'm afraid.

You can order over at www.mondotees.com
By Lawrence
So I have to pay for postage all the way from the US now? Wow forgive me for not being excited about the fact that DW stopped with subs and moved Stateside. Is this the way it's going to be from now on?
By tonyandrewgiles
@lawrence - I only ordered singles for the UK as that's where I'm based.

This isn't a DW thing, I just did this myself.

Why don't you see if there are any other guys in Sweden who want to order and then make one order all together?
By philball1974
[quote=47067]Is this the way it’s going to be from now on?[/quote]

Well yes! Mondo now own DW and they are stateside! It is the land of the free not the land of free postage!

And as its a democratic society you don't have to pay. You have the right not to buy!
By oaxaca
Lol, that's the way it goes! But remember Spence said http://www.republicofmusic.com/ will start to stock DW & Mondo stuff specifically for the UK and Euro markets soon so it aint all doom and gloom :D
By kumachan
*cough* *cough* *cough* £20 for a new release 7" with shipping!?! Is this going to get distributed in the UK or is this evidence that DW is being sucked up into Mondoland like many of us feared and was constantly denied? I'm leaving this one to the flippers... At minimum it would be nice if Twin Peaks and the Fabio Frizzi releases could get UK distrib...
By tonyandrewgiles
[quote=47094]Remember Spence said http://www.republicofmusic.com/ will start to stock DW & Mondo stuff specifically for the UK and Euro markets soon so it aint all doom and gloom [/quote]

It's coming :D
By kumachan
I'm sure we can rely on Spencer to look after us, but it would be nice to have some clear information on what is going on. I know there will be 50 people shooting me down for saying it, but I hate these records that have secret release schedules and sell out in 5 minutes. Good news for the Americans though, now we can understand the pain they went through over shipping costs :)
By Lawrence
Yeah land of the free blah blah blah, don't have to buy etc. I've been a subscriber pretty much from the start, so I think I have the right to complain that I'm now expected to pay for shipping from the States. Or am I in the wrong place to complain about that?

Weren't we told that everything would be Hunky Dory and there was nothing to worry about, and look what happens with the very first release. Kinda shitty way to treat the people that have helped DW get into the position they're now in.

As for asking around in Sweden to see if there is anyone that wants to club together are you for real?

It's already sold out anyway, much the same way that DW has. You'll all get to feel the pinch when you don't get a DW release and have to order it from the States. Seriously what a shitty way for my favourite label to go.

By Lawrence
Not mad at all, just seriously disappointed. I just expected more from Spencer that's all.
By pyrexia
Disappointed? Why? Did Spencer fail his history test or get caught smoking outside the school?
By DISCOSUCKS...
Think I'll be avoiding this thread for a few days.........
By siforster
I'm probably not allowed to do that :) so I'll just ask for a bit of calm on the Internet (should be easy enough!), and add this:

Change is here. It could be for good, or it could wind up in a big firey fireball of, um, fire. I'm guessing that the decision to do all this was a business one, and there's nothing wrong with that. Because this is all a business, and if businesses don't do things to grow, then they shrink. Yet this isn't selling out. Perhaps if the first fruit of this new collaboration between two small, friendly, boutique labels was 10,000 reissues of the Dirty Dancing OST sold exclusively to new Sky customers, then maybe. But it's not. It's a thing that the label head put out because it'd be of interest to both us lot and himself to do it.

I'm supposed to be doing a writeup on The Raid tonight (for "supposed to be", read "might do it on Thursday"), and it will be with a teeny tinge of sadness that there's no more subs and I've now got to queue up with the rest of the web, but that's how it goes, and I hope that this little empire spreads beyond Margate and Texas to whatever's next because I really like the stuff that gets put out there and the coolness that gets put into each one. And I hope it expands quickly and profitably enough so that Spencer can hire someone to do subs again :)
By siforster
Sorry, went on a bit.
By philball1974
[quote=47112]Or am I in the wrong place to complain about that?[/quote]

Yeah Id say so. The forum used to be cool. Only so many posts you can read about kiddies losing their dummies.
By Lawrence
Despite what you write, I think this is totally the correct place to vent spleen about DW and what has happened. I know you're just trying to get some kind of rise out of me, that no matter what you write you won't get, but keep it up, it makes me laugh.
By philball1974
@lawrence I'm not interested in getting a rise. Do you not see that it's moaning posts that bring the forum down? There's enough posts that we can all conclude some folks ain't happy.

Doesn't happen often but I'm agreeing with Disco on this one!
By Lawrence
What is the point in having a DW forum if you can't discuss the negative things too though? I've been there pretty much since day one, so obviously I thought by coming here I'd be able to discuss this. But it looks like I was wrong.

Is this forum only meant to blow smoke up Spencer's arse then?
By pyrexia
Si, I think you are pretty on point. I mean this was a business decision. If Spencer can make a decent living via the Mondo agreement so that he can put out more awesome records and run his own record store, well, good for him.

I just think that it all sounds very childish when people throw around hyperbolic statements like "I am so disappointed" or that they will "never buy a release again". Throw the baby out with the bathwater much?

As an American customer, I have struggled with shipping myself. I bought the first two DW releases when they were first available all those years ago and paid out the ass for shipping and received a package that looked like wolverines got to it by the time it got to my door. I still have that version of Zombi and it makes me sad. Then we started seeing releases pop up in stores, and then in a few years we got distro of DW through Light in the Attic. Reasonable prices and I have never missed a DW release. Even when I freaked out about DW to USA shipping costs during last year's Christmas releases while Europeans were all happy, LITA came through. It sounds like you all will have a similar set up with distro or record store support.

I feel only good can come of this. More support from Mondo, means more cash on hand, which means more money available for licensing, which means more great releases.

I think that what hurts for people in Europe is the same thing that hurt for Americans in the beginning. But it sounds like there is a plan. Calm down.
By philball1974
No it's supposed to be a cool place to talk about music!!
By Hatter313
I hesitate to jump in here, but well, here goes.

As an American customer, I had to choose whether to purchase direct from Spencer and pay almost $50 for a single record, or buy from LITA and not get the deluxe packaging i wanted.

It has also been mentioned by Spencer that he actually LOST money when distributing his deluxe versions through LITA, hence why they only became DW webstore exclusives.

In order for these awesome products to continue to exist, Spencer (and by extension every single one of these awesome long suffering people who run these labels) has to able to make a living at doing this. if He can't survive off of his label, he has to do something else, and then we don't get the products. i would have happily paid a premium for every release, and did for the last year and a half since i discovered him, just to know that at least my money was investing in something that could grow and produce even more excellent packages for me to buy.

But without expansion, without capital gains and good business decisions, the very existence of a "Angela's theme" 7" on tri color wax doesn't even occur.

So sure, i'm thrilled that i don't have to pay the shipping costs i used to pay regularly for DW releases, But i would, if only to help keep these awesome labels running and producing and bringing us things we never even dreamed would ever exist. I'm sorry some people feel priced out by this, i really am, but we have to remember the lives and livelihoods of the people who do this for us, and i won't ever begrudge someone making a good business decision.
By deathwaltz
Lawrence it's a shame that's how you feel , could I suggest Facebook for general moans about my lack of charactor and general witchburning of me over there.

Whatever I do someone gets angry, (or feels 'let down') I am beginning to to think I shouldn't take it to heart and just ignore it and not give a shit.

Unfortuantely that's not how I work.

If I am a sell out so be it .

I sold out to ensure Absurd would be double vinyl instead of the single disc I was planning as it was too quiet and DW didn't have the cash to make it a double with an embossed sleeve.

I sold out to make sure both mondo & DW titles would be in stores for exactly the same prices they were before the merger so folks can still get a good looking and sounding record.

I can live with that.
By cookythecook
thanks spencer! i feel bad for you that on a day where you gift us with sleepaway camp finally on vinyl, and seemingly announce "Absurd" as coming out (GRAIL STATUS) you still have to defend yourself from the haters and negativity. You NAILED it today. Thanks for making tons and tons of us horror geeks happy, and try to not worry about the few haters. THANK YOU! job well done
By texasvinyl
Rosso Sangue? Nice!

Sorry to see gripes on here. Drafthouse is a great company with the cash to do cool stuff. They are growing like crazy and have an ethos centered around providing a cinema experience that far exceeds what cookie cutter megaplexes can offer.

I don't know Tim League, but he seems to run a company with the kind of culture, values and goals that makes it a good match with Death Waltz.