Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By chiefbrody
I know I'm relatively new to the forum, and I hope this isn't "off limits" - I'll delete if so.

I have been collecting DW releases starting with Carpenter but then picking up others mainly based on comments on this forum (I've been lurking a long time) or recommendations from Spencer. Much as I love my DW wax, sometimes I would like to listen on the go, which means that I've been buying multiple versions of the same soundtrack (CDs of EFNY, The Fog, etc). I suspect I'm not alone in this - in fact many of you will have bought multiple vinyl versions of the same soundtrack. I've been frustrated at the cost of a lot of soundtracks on CD as they are deleted or limited editions (specifically Halloween soundtracks), and I kind of resent paying premium prices twice over. I have a set up that can create WAV files from vinyl, but I find it a bit of a pain and I'd rather have a 'perfect' digital version. Given how expensive the CDs can be - even used - I'm more inclined to download (especially if lossless).

My suggestion is - if it's alright - could we start a list of places where we can download versions of the DW releases, and the format (MP3, FLAC). If this is acceptable and others would find useful, I'll edit this original post to make it more concise and include all DW releases I know of (not including DWO).
By DrRhythm
The trouble is that, in many cases, such sources will be illegal/unauthorised!!
By chiefbrody
DrRhythm, thanks for your response. Sorry, I maybe should've made that absolutely clear that it was legitimate sites such as bleep, Juno, HDTracks, etc. I guess I wasn't thinking about illegal downloads or the potentially fine line between legit and illegal sites. Even limiting it to paid downloads wouldn't necessarily mean they were legit, I guess. It never really occurred to me.

If anyone has any thoughts on groundrules for this, please post. If it's just plain a bad idea, I'll delete the topic, I'm not looking to encourage anything illegal.
By toosoonjunior
Ideally, I think most everyone would like to see a digital download included with the purchase of an LP (I know I would). Milan is good about that as are a number of other labels. Of course, I have no doubt that it is probably more complicated and expensive for labels to obtain rights to digital in addition to physical rights. With that being said, I would be willing to pay a few bucks more to have a clean digital download included with LP purchase for an album that is otherwise unavailable or difficult to obtain.
By blastman
I'm with TSJ on this one, a digital download included with the record is a godsend as I don't have my turntable set up permanently at the moment. Lord knows when I'll get to hear Halloween III at this stage.. :)
By DrRhythm
I definitely like download codes - wish there had been one with Il Profumo Della Signora In Nero but I did manage to rip that one quite well -it's actually the only vinyl album that I've had the patience to do properly.

I actually do the majority of my listening on the go so codes are a real bonus with vinyl!

On the list of sites point, I think people on here are generally aware of where to go but I could well be wrong about that :)
By Spun out of control
Love it when Milan, or an artist's Bandcamp page, provide a download of files to listen to while you wait for the LP (or cassette) to arrive in the post. Especially when an LP is a pre-order and you can otherwise be waiting 3 months to hear it.

Know DW has done this too, though not for every release from what I can gather.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but it does does sway me towards a certain site or retailer if I know I can get the vinyl and a download for the same price as 'just' the vinyl elsewhere. An interesting topic and discussion point.
By chiefbrody
I definitely prefer having download codes with the LPs, but I totally understand that DW probably only gets limited rights on some material, so it means they can't provide codes. One bugbear of mine is vinyl mostly comes with MP3 downloads. Better than nothing, for sure, but anyone spending £25 on an LP probably cares about audio quality more than the average consumer, so they're more likely to want lossless downloads, e.g. for burning to CD, but they're pretty rare. There's probably a legitimate cost reason for this to do with file sizes, etc.

I have so far tended to avoid downloads, preferring CDs to paying £9 for digital files, so maybe I don't know as many of the sites as most others. My thinking was that it might help others like me to find a particular soundtrack without looking at every download site.

e.g. (as a made up example)

- DW007 Halloween II - itunes (AAC), Bleep (FLAC)

and so on (the above is totally made up - I haven't been able to find lossless Halloween II, hence, the topic...
By NathanLurker
DW has been doing WAV downloads for subbers. I think orders directly from the DW store for deluxe had the WAVs as well but I might be wrong. Out of subscription titles didn't have digital files though (the record store day releases for exemple). OWS are send WAVs to club members as well. It's awesome, and I'm hoping that since DW aren't doing subs anymore, that we'll have some options for digital files for future releases. and at the same time, with Mondo.
By maxlevel
Just my two cents, but I have never seen the need for really high res downloads for on the go listening. I mean, you're on the go and by definition you will never get studio level reproduction through cans and an iPhone. So, why not rip a decent-ish WAV for travelling? Just plug your line out into a PC with a semi decent setup.

That said, the Milan download codes are a nice touch.
By NathanLurker
probably it's worth having high res files on the Pono, which I have not tried. but true, on an ipod I usually put mp3s anyway. I try to get 320 kbps.
By chiefbrody
Off topic a bit, but I have a PONO equivalent made by FIIO, which is great. From now on I'm using it as my primary music player both on the go and at home, which is partly why I prefer having lossless. I'm currently converting all my CDs into FLAC to make space for the kids (I'm working my way through c.1500 CDs - alphabetically, I'm at C!). I don't like having to buy anything more than once, so if I have to, I'd at least rather get the value of lossless, as it tends to be the same or only marginally different in price.

I feel like I should've just written an extremely long bio at the start of the thread setting out why I'm looking for digital versions, with a preference for lossless!!

Thanks for your replies - it's obviously of interest for vinyl enthusiasts, though I'm not sensing great enthusiasm for my original idea of a list of available digital versions of DW releases!
By dumaisaudio
Getting digital downloads as part of the subscription is one thing I'll really miss. I hope that Spencer can work it out to provide them with purchases from the new web store.
By philball1974
I spend thousands of pounds a year on vinyl and download everything else unpaid. Way I see it its easier than me ripping the vinyl or its music I would never have heard without downloading, and if it's good music I'm probably going to pay over the odds for the vinyl anyway!

Spencer had the right idea giving those wav files out.
By liftman2013
Has anyone got the whole DW wav file collection to date?
I lost a handful when my phone broke. The dropbox links became invalid after awhile. spencer once said he'd look to load them all up again but i doubt he'll have the time nowadays
By NickyMarotta
It sucks, but the digital thing is proving to be the decider in me continuing to buy everything, and I think I'm out after being frustrated too many times.

The fact is I really don't believe that it's a rights issue with most of these titles and labels (with a few, sure, fine, but I don't believe that there's some delusional organization who are refusing to part with the rights to Forbidden World or Chain Reaction or whatever). I sort of suspect that Spencer and Justin from Mondo and whoever does Dual Planet and Waxworks don't like digital, or agree with it on principle, and don't want to go the extra mile. The best label for me are Light in the Attic, where it's a case-by-case basis but they get it in general. I'm sure they're not thrilled about .mp3s, but they provide them for people who like to listen while they work.

Even when Death Waltz *was* doing digital it was all over the place - on Slumber Party Massacre one track was a WAV file while all the others were MP3s, for no apparent reason; others were in various bitrates (but sometimes no better than 128 kbps). A couple of titles had no tagging at all so would just go into your computer unidentified and in the wrong order. It became a hassle to try to enjoy a download version of an LP (maybe that was the intention!)

Probably 85% of the other vinyl I buy comes with a download, via a simple, easy, clean Bandcamp download or Dropcard or something similar, and it makes ALL the difference in me being able to listen on the bus to work, or AT work.

Obviously wax is #1 and will always be my preferred choice, but I spend hours commuting every day and I'd love to enjoy the stuff that I'm increasingly spending more on. I don't think it's an 'entitled' thing - I just want to hear the music more! Know what I mean?
By Whip Wilson
Nicky I, for one, completely agree. The trouble is the digital rights are often sold separately from the vinyl rights with reissues. The vast majority of new releases come with digital copies because that's standard in current contracts with artists. It is even more straightforward if you're buying it direct from an artist on something like bandcamp. Unfortunately that's not how most of our beloved labels here acquire music so they often have to pay more for digital rights. That cost has to be passed on to the consumer. Even them it's not so simple. There isn't really a going rate when licensing music from a composer or their surviving family or other rights holder. It can get sticky and folks can frankly overvalue what they have the rights to which makes the deal financially neglegent for these labels. That's why some scores never get released at all and that's why some are only available on vinyl, but not digitally. It's largely about what the label can afford while keeping the price of the record affordable enough that they can make that money back. That said, I'd love to have digital copies of all my records, but I get why it doesn't always happen.

EDIT: I think I've just talked myself into buying a USB turntable.
By chiefbrody
I completely agree about it sometimes being a deal-breaker. I just don't have as much time as I'd like to sit near my record player, so I need to be realistic about my purchases. If I'll get the chance to play the album 10x more if I buy the CD, plus it's half the price, it's difficult to remain a 'purist' - it's about the music after all. If it's a choice between vinyl with digital version vs CD, I'm more likely to pick vinyl - almost certain if it's FLAC/WAV. In principle, I'm not keen on buying most of the albums I want twice either. I'd happily pay a bit more for vinyl with digital files, but preferably not an extra £8-10.

I don't know about the rights issues, etc, though, I'd imagine that can get quite complicated. It's maybe easier to get the rights to press 1,000 copies of something on vinyl, meaning whoever owns it can sell rights in the future for new CD issues, downloads, streaming, etc. I think it also helps prevent piracy. For instance, Third Man Records' sub is vinyl only - they must own the rights, but they'll also know that it'll be shared online by thousands straight after they give away digital files, and their subs will drop. Also, given my experience of DW and their customer service and fan engagement - going the extra mile - I doubt anyone is deciding to withhold digital versions or provide inferior ones if they could just as easily include them. Just my opinion...
By chiefbrody
Anyone thinking about a USB turntable, I recommend this as an alternative

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may06/a ... noplus.htm

Easy to hook up and use - just connect to turntable by phono and laptop by USB. I've used it a good few times. I had a few test runs before I got it right, but once you've worked it out it's really easy. Though I tend to get impatient and just listen to the record!

This review mentions a couple of alternatives, which may be even better.