Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By dumaisaudio
It's my favorite Death Waltz cover, next to Assault on Precinct 13.
By DISCOSUCKS...
@ironjaiden//

Have just finished reading an awesome interview with yerself in Sleepover Shows -

http://sleepovershows.com/cover-stories-jay-shaw

(no idea where to post such a link, so here it is...)

Great to hear about your process, and how candid and occasionally self-depricating you are! Nothing is more endearing than an outrageously talented dude insisting that he often flounders around a bit before the lightning strikes! ;) (the inside scoop on stuff like Rosemary and 2001 are fascinating...)

That Rocky III graphic! Woah. Yes, in that one more than anything else I've seen of yours, I can get the influence of Eastern European n Cuban classic poster art. Wild.

Well, to quote the guy who said "let's not start sucking each others cocks just yet", I'll end this fan-blart and just heartily encourage other Black Spinners to check out this article.

By Whip Wilson
I've said this in here before, and probably more than once, but Shaw's Rocky III is easily my favorite modern movie poster. Second place isn't close.
By DISCOSUCKS...
I had a pretty damn good guess at the process, having played around with text-conversion myself a bit, but I just wasn't sure until I read it! I mean, talk about Rorschach - you can see so much in there, including a distorted Silver Shamrock TV ad pumpkin mask, a screaming face, etc, and how about that faux ringwear?? I mean, is that just a pure fluke or what?! ;)

I did an LP sleeve a few years back (before I had any idea what the fuck I was doing!) for a friend, and we settled on the idea that it should look like an old library record. That included fake ringwear and corner bumps!

Well, my pal finally confessed to me that it was a huge mistake - people were constantly mailing him to ask whether he only had OLD battered copies of the record for sale, not new ones! And it actually went further, with people asking for refunds/sending copies back :O ("YOU LISTED AS MINT!!!)

Another over-elaborate packaging gag we did, was to do their Video compilation dvd as a limited VHS clamshell box (this wasn't so passe back then!) for a fake cheapo family sci-fi flick! (I was pretty obsessed with Monster Kid Home Movies at the time...)

That one got so elaborate, I actually shot the first 3 minutes on Super8 of the fake movie, which played as an intro before the DVD menu proper kicked in:

https://vimeo.com/9534805

Hahaha......and yep, again there was mass confusion and complaints from fans of the band.

I guess the benefit of doing things mainly for fun/as favours is that you rarely have to justify your mad, fucked up ideas too much to the suits! ;)
By DISCOSUCKS...
Btw....sorry for hi-jacking this thread a bit - I got over excited!

Sosueme x
By scottyboy71
@discosucks That's amazing. I was really getting into the Secret of the Slagheap.

Big thanks for sharing
By DISCOSUCKS...
Haha...thanks @SB71 :)

Give me £134.50 and I can complete the feature :D
By ironjaiden
Don't get me wrong, it's a neat cover for sure. I'm weird about my stuff. I'd always rather see someone else's art than my own.

@discosucks holy shit man that's awesome! I want the rest of that movie.
By linus
@discosucks that's amazing!

New H3 looks and sounds awesome. Extra tracks interspersed make it quite a different listen to the original.

@ironjaiden the H3 cover is ace!
By DISCOSUCKS...
I’m weird about my stuff. I’d always rather see someone else’s art than my own.

That's just one of the things that makes you so loveable, dude :)
By MaxwellHauser
Got my copy yesterday and put it on and it sounds excellent. I was home alone for a bit last night so I put the record on and dove head-first into going over every bit of artwork and liner notes this release had to offer. I then filed it on the shelf next to my original Death Waltz release of this record. Awesome re-release. I'm really happy I decided to bite again.
By Juiceycow
I know Retro Gamer magazine (UK) ran into the same problem with their first edition ie making it look all worn. People thought it was a trashed copy on the shelves

By chiefbrody
For anyone looking for this and happy with the retail version, I think it's a ridiculous £5.29 on amazon UK. It doesn't have the full track listing but the item number and release date look like the reissue. I've grabbed a copy - I didn't get it when it came out as I'd only just got Halloween II, III, EFNY and They Live at higher than RRP when I found out about the reissues. This makes up for it. I only wish they had it on autorip - its the only disappointment about DW is not having mp3 (or flac) versions, especially with so many Carpenter soundtracks being rare and pricey on CD, meaning it costs a fortune to have vinyl and 'on the move' versions.
By AndreasEldritch
Thanks for the tip off - bought a copy as my original is scratched
By Gehirn
Got one too, thanks!
By zuko
Just sitting down with this for the first time, loving all the sleevenotes. On top of all the music/film notes, as a designer, I'm also a sucker for reading about design process. Toddler just ran in naked from bath-time to do a little dance too, obviously a man of taste.
By jgibbs4053
i waited too long to order this from Mondo. Does anyone have a copy they would like to trade or sale?
By deafmetal
Darrell, if you don't need the splatter vinyl, the standard orange vinyl is available online and in shops.
By Juiceycow
Mine finally arrived today (shipped with Candyman, so had to wait).
Sounds great, and I really like the new sleeve notes booklet, esp using promo pics from the movie thoughout.
Also love the proper inner sleeve. Saves me replacing it like I do with all other modern releases (that are plain white paper sleeves).
By jefflynne
Has anyone had any issues with appalling surface noise on this reissue? Both sides are as bad as each other and as the soundtrack is a fairly subtle and low-key affair for the most part, the noise can be quite distracting at times.

I love the music and I usually rip my vinyls to MP3 for listening on the go, but this is rough enough to make me not want to bother.
By static14
@Andy Essex My solid orange copy was very noisy. It took a couple of runs through a VCM to eliminate it.
By texasvinyl
I have the black/orange splatter reissue of H3 and it sounds great, very quiet pressing.
By chiefbrody
@Andy Essex I have the orange vinyl too, and listened to it for the first time a couple of days ago - paid perfectly, didn't notice any unwanted noise.
By jefflynne
Yeah, the general consensus (here and elsewhere) seems to be that it needs a good clean. Cheers guys.
By Lord of the Ringo Star Wars
Just scored this record and it's my first Death Waltz purchase,I'm really stoked about the quality even though there is shit all over the record.
I'm going to frame the poster,anyone know how to get the creases out?