Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Hatter313
I think its a matter of that chevron pattern being part of the public ether thing.

There are so many iconic images associated with TP, but nothing more than the lodge floor. wouldn't be surprised if the cover to FWWM is just a blue rose. I wonder if this is gatefold also? maybe just the curtains on the interior?

Restarted the series again last night, viewing number 6 (7 if i just count the first season since it was available on DVD long before the second for a while) But i was 14 or 15 when my folks made me rent the VHS tapes from our library. The first time i saw the waiting room the eeriness of the design of it hit me real hard and i fell in love with everything about the show. I remember my father watching its with me, and right when the show tarted getting weird he turned to me and watched my face grow from "This is a cool, quirky murder mystery" to "oh! Oh! OH! This is something else entirely!"

Of course the cover is the chevrons, what else could it have been.

"Let's Rock"
By Vapormeyer
I'm going to say something that I know will provoke a few reactions but please bear with me when I say that I just don't feel this soundtrack. I should perhaps say that for whatever reason in this existence I've never seen an episode of Twin Peaks, yep not one. I've heard so many amazing comments about it though that I will be as soon as possible. But I wanted to ask the question, do you think it's the fantastic imagery that makes the soundtrack so appealing? Is it visualising the scenes in your head when listening that makes it so enjoyable?. Because listening to the OST without watching any of it has left me a little, underwhelmed. I will watch the show and see how my opinion changes but I'd like to know why the soundtrack holds such massive appeal. And please don't read me wrong, I think Spencer is really doing a fantastic job here with so much passion behind it it really is to be applauded. Be interested in your comments, be nice.
By Bezulsqy
Vapormeyer wrote:I'm going to say something that I know will provoke a few reactions but please bear with me when I say that I just don't feel this soundtrack. I should perhaps say that for whatever reason in this existence I've never seen an episode of Twin Peaks, yep not one. I've heard so many amazing comments about it though that I will be as soon as possible. But I wanted to ask the question, do you think it's the fantastic imagery that makes the soundtrack so appealing? Is it visualising the scenes in your head when listening that makes it so enjoyable?. Because listening to the OST without watching any of it has left me a little, underwhelmed. I will watch the show and see how my opinion changes but I'd like to know why the soundtrack holds such massive appeal. And please don't read me wrong, I think Spencer is really doing a fantastic job here with so much passion behind it it really is to be applauded. Be interested in your comments, be nice.
Actually never thought of it. I had not heard the music before I watched Twin Peaks many many years ago. Because of the show I had a crush on Sherilyn Fenn and I the scene where she dances to Audrey's Dance will forever be in my mind. I bought the score on CD back then and love every second of it. And probably because of the imagery that goes with it.
So yes, you might have a point. However I don't know anyone who hasn't seen the show that knows or cares for the music. Everyone I know that has seen the show loves the music :-)

By monsterworship
Have you listened to the tracks with Julee Cruise on them, Into the night?

i find those tracks enchanting.
By Hatter313
For me, its hard to separate OST music from the film or tv show anyway, which is why with very few exceptions i tend to only buy scores to films or shows I've seen. thats not to say that this music can't be enjoyed on its own, only that I have a hard time blind buying stuff unless its a composer that I truly love, (Morricone, etc).

Now, as far as TP goes, of course a lot of it is being transported back to that world, but i also feel that the music here is just so interesting, its shifts from jazz to playful atmospherics, to some truly sinister melody lines grab me like a lot of other things don't. to echo Monster, the Julee Cruise tracks are dream pop gold if you are into that sort of thing. i'm working on a bear of a project at work right now, and the score is playing in my headphones right now.

Nothing in the world makes me feel the way TP makes me feel. there's something about it thats sad, enchanting, absurd, and terrifying at the same time. it has no respect for genre or tone and sets its own beat more than anything else thats come after it. plenty of shows and movies have tried to copy its quirkiness, its sinister imagery, its oddly touching characters and small town weirdos, but nothing has every hit all the notes right the way TP does.

Thirdly...if it ain't for you, it ain't for you. there's plenty of music people love that I don't care for, even on a board like this where so much of my taste seems to intersect with others here. I do hope you give the show a chance though, and if you like it, then awesome, welcome to the party, its the best thing ever, and if you don't like it...that's ok too :)
By Vapormeyer
Thanks so much for the responses. I will check out the show as soon as I can and as always with an open mind (and ear). It's great to see something that people are so passionate about and I often find my music preferences intertwine with others on here, which is why I'm miffed I feel a little bit out in the cold on this one, and not inside sipping the winter punch which is where I want to be. Really looking forward to seeing the series though and forming my own opinions on something which is so treasured by others.
By reddye6
Vapormeyer wrote:Thanks so much for the responses. I will check out the show as soon as I can and as always with an open mind (and ear). It's great to see something that people are so passionate about and I often find my music preferences intertwine with others on here, which is why I'm miffed I feel a little bit out in the cold on this one, and not inside sipping the winter punch which is where I want to be. Really looking forward to seeing the series though and forming my own opinions on something which is so treasured by others.
That happens, though, to all of us. For instance, there is a lot of excitement around the "Zoo Folle" LP release, but what I heard on Youtube doesn't do anything for me. Then again, I'm less interested in Italian funk and am more interested in the horror/sci-fi/experimental stuff. I still enjoying hearing about the releases, though, as something that I didn't think I'd be interested in does grab me.
By Vapormeyer
yep, if it wasn't for some of the suggestions on here I wouldn't of listened to and discovered some real gems (or spent as much money as I have done).
By Bezulsqy
Vapormeyer wrote:yep, if it wasn't for some of the suggestions on here I wouldn't of listened to and discovered some real gems (or spent as much money as I have done).
Hear, hear!
By Spun out of control
As a teenager I was once pulled over for speeding when trying to get home quicker to watch Twin Peaks. True story.

My first girlfriend and I owned copies of the score and the Julee Cruise solo LP, but when we split up they went to her (think I may even have bought them as presents for her).

So there is a lot of nostalgia around this release for those of us with such memories. Plus the music is 'once heard never forgotten' and played a huge part in the mood and character of the series... as all the best scores do...? :)

I just have to think of the series and the theme tune immediately plays in my head. Does that mean I need to hear the score again? Arguably not, but think I'll still be picking this up for all of the above reasons...
By deafmetal
I think that if somebody sat me down cold to listen to the Twin Peaks OST without having seen the show at all, or heard any other Julee Cruise/Lynch/Badalamenti collaboration, that I might not be overly receptive to it.

Some of the instrumental tracks have a very slow and weary vibe, and could be off-putting if the context of the show is completely unknown. I might even pass on the Julee Cruise songs if I had not experienced the dark wonder that is Twin Peaks. I agree with others that the imagery of the show is important, but I would also say that the show just wouldn't be the same without the music.

I did not watch the show when it originally aired, and it took some convincing from friends to give it a try. I found it to be quite addicting and enchanting, and years later you could have found me sending care packages out to friends of bootlegs of the pilot and season 2 episodes on DVD.

Now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, it has taken on an entirely new appeal. In fact, I might even be a bit scared now to watch it again.
By Mateo Sanboval
Do you like John Zorn's Naked City? William Basinski's Disintegration Loops? How about cough syrup? If you answered yes to all three, then the score to Twin Peaks is the album for you!
By bpwlogan
@Mateo-much love on John Zorn's Naked City. I see 2HD has a vinyl reissue available. I'm not going to bite though. I've had the CD a long time and I'm cool with that. It's tempting though.
By Mateo Sanboval
bpwlogan wrote:@Mateo-much love on John Zorn's Naked City. I see 2HD has a vinyl reissue available. I'm not going to bite though. I've had the CD a long time and I'm cool with that. It's tempting though.
Indeed. I already bit it.
By monsterworship
I got the Naked City LP earlier this year, what i gather it is an unofficial bootleg, but it is very pro and sounds fine and worth the pick up.
By Mateo Sanboval
monsterworship wrote:I got the Naked City LP earlier this year, what i gather it is an unofficial bootleg, but it is very pro and sounds fine and worth the pick up.
The one I bought from 2HD is a preorder on 1972; I don't think they do bootleg stuff, but I guess I'm not sure.

PS - They are two different releases. One is an 'unofficial' EU reissue on Nonesuch from 2015 and this one is as described above.
By monsterworship
oh i didn't realize there was a legit release coming.
strange they were so close together.
By Mateo Sanboval
Watch yours be the better reissue.
By ScoJo
I have the Nonesuch OG of Naked City - it's one of my all time faves, the Shot in The Dark cover is electric!
By Hatter313
i just took a closer look at the photo posted. I think its a die cut sleeve. the lodge floor is covering another image with some blue in it, possibly Laura in plastic or something like that. it could just be the shot, and i may be way off, but that's what i'm thinking :)
By Mateo Sanboval
Hatter313 wrote:i just took a closer look at the photo posted. I think its a die cut sleeve. the lodge floor is covering another image with some blue in it, possibly Laura in plastic or something like that. it could just be the shot, and i may be way off, but that's what i'm thinking :)
Agreed.
By deafmetal
Dale Cooper wrote:I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.