Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By dumaisaudio
@revolver - that's weird, as my solid orange EFNY is dead quiet, along with the black copy I sold and the green/orange split I have.

I'm keeping my first edition copies. I'm only buying H3 anyway since it has extra tracks, and hope to get the sleeves for the others. I have two copies of a some other titles, but they're not really worth selling, as I'd probably get less than I paid, so I'd rather just keep them.
By Bub
According to LITA's listing, H3 is gonna be on orange not clear.

By horseloverphat
Just picked up the H3 reissue with the extras...grabbed a They Live too, didn't have that one, from before.
By glennmichael
Just received the Halloween III Deluxe Reissue from Death Waltz in a standard non gatefold sleeve.

Still a great release, but what happened to the 400 gm Gatefold plans?
By dumaisaudio
Does it have the new liner notes? Is it just an insert or a booklet? I kinda assumed it would be like the Ms. 45 and City of the Living Dead releases, gatefold with the booklet attached. I ordered one, but I'm in the US so I probably won't get it for another week or so.

Edit - reading back a few pages, it seems the Halloween 2 release is not gatefold either.
By Spun out of control
@dumaiaudio

That's correct. I received Halloween II this week - has a nice OBI strip, but is a standard single sleeve - also comes with poster but couldn't see any liner notes with mine. No litho either. The black and orange splatter vinyl is very fetching however, but the colour seems the only real change...

Don't know what happened to the original gatefold idea - guess it couldn't be sorted for whatever reason.
By Whip Wilson
According to DWRC and LITA product pages, H2 has no new features, Prince of Darkness has a "4 page booklet includes brand new sleeve notes by John Carpenter (July 2014) , Alan Howarth and Sam Smith.
Includes an essay on the film by John Doran (The Quietus)" , They Live has "an 8 page booklet featuring liner notes by Alan Howarth & Gary Pullin and also includes an essay exploring the illumination in They Live by Vigilant Citizen", and H3 has "Deluxe reissue includes 400 gsm Gatefold sleeve and contains exclusive sleeve notes by Director Tommy Lee Wallace , Artist Jay Shaw and film expert Kim Newman also includes an interview with John Carpenter by Joseph Burnett." So the H2 package shouldn't be all that different, but the other three should.
By ghostfires
I'm really not trying to be a smart ass about this even though it will sound that way - but what good are writings from modern artists like Gary Pullin?

Like...what is the point? He has no actual experience with the original film or the original music, so he has nothing to offer on the subject except that he too is a fan and was HIRED to draw new art for an album cover. I guess I just fail to see why that would be of any interest, or how it could be a selling point to buy a record...

Aside from that comment, any one heard anything at all about buying these new booklets seperately? I sure would love go read any new notes from Carpenter or others related to the original films...I just don't want to have to buy the same record over again to read four pages.
By deathwaltz
The spec for Halloween III changed from a gatefold to standard single pocket 400 gsm sleeve, apologies for not updating the website folks that is entirley my fault.. Feel free to return for a refund if you are not happy.
By deathwaltz
If you use that logic then you may as well ask what is point of creating new artworks at all.
Some people find the process of why the artist arrived where they did interesting.
By milliondollars
@ghostfires: how about selling your spare ones?

it's no surprise the first perssings of several DW releases start popping up on ebay and discogs now.
By Spun out of control
Quite like the extra input on these releases from the creative teams involved... guess directors and composers might be more valid as the ones with the original 'vision', but in any event, appreciate the time taken to bring something new to the table.

Anyone could just use old artwork and notes and stick that out, and most would be perfectly happy. So it's good that DW, Waxwork, Mondo et al are going the extra mile.

That said, from a presentation point of view, I love too what the likes of AMS are doing with their giallo LP re-issues - liner notes from an expert with evident love of the films, along with a sheet containing a montage of old lobby cards, posters from different territories - really brings the era to life.

So, while largely down to personal taste, there's more than one way to skin a (black) cat...
By deafmetal
I enjoy the DW, Mondo, Waxwork, etc., new artwork for releases, and I do like to read how the artists came up with their inspiration and interpretations. It feels like part of the overall package to me.

Spencer, no worries on the gatefold decision on my part. What's the latest plans for the remastered Zombi 2?
By texasvinyl
Gary Pullin is a cool dude and very talented artist, I'd read his liner notes.

And for Halloween 3, you could glue the original H3 sleeve to the new one and make a hideous one-of-a-kind Frankenstein gatefold jacket.
By ghostfires
Okay, I am just in the minority then. I don't understand Spencer's response because I never said anything about how new artists shouldn't be involved...I just could care less why they got involved, or what they think about the movie. I don't care if the artist is a cool guy or a nice guy or anything along those lines, so I guess that is why it just blows me away that words from a fan that was paid to draw a picture is worth printing.

I'm really not trying to be a dick about it, it is not a negative comment toward Pullin at all - as I would say the same about Jock, and I absolutely love his comic book art...I just don't care why he would have done an album cover. If I like the music, I'm going to buy the album regardless of the art on the front cover.
By ghostfires
@milliondollars - I think you already know that if I bought the newest version to pull the booklet out, and tried to resell it - more than likely I would never get rid of it because fans would view it as an incomplete package.

I don't want to sell my original releases though because those have been well used, and I really hate the idea of arguing with someone over the internet about the condition of the jacket, or the amount of use the record has seen.

The only reason I had asked about sales of the booklets and/or jackets was because DW had mentioned that they would be made available a long while back...I was just checking to see if that was still going to be an option or not now that they are out.
By siforster
I'm one of those some people!
The thing that got me to finally spend a bit of cash on Death Waltz was Halloween II & III - the thing that got me utterly hooked was reading Jay Shaw's explanation of the cover art and having my mind blown by the process :)
By dumaisaudio
Sad these reissues aren't getting the gatefold sleeves, as those look awesome, but it's not a deal breaker. I ordered Halloween 3 because of the new cues, the art and liner notes are secondary. Liner notes from the composer and director are usually more interesting to me, but some of the artist ones are cool to read. In general, the more stuff the better. If Spencer puts up the sleeves and booklets for the other reissues, I'll probably still buy them. I doubt anyone will want a refund just because it's not gatefold.
By Whip Wilson
I only want to replace my original DWRC for new music and/or higher sound quality. As such, I've only purchased Haloween III which is my favorite release of theirs anyway (and maybe my favorite score period). That said, I, too, would love to be able to add the new notes for H2 (if there are any), They Live, and POD to my originals without rebuying/depriving someone elae of the whole record.
By lazyben
Yeah, I enjoy reading liner notes and looking at pretty artwork but I'm not buying another copy of something I already have unless it's likely to be a better pressing or has extra music (or maybe a different sequence of the same music).

I'm another who has ordered H3 but none of the other represses.
By soundtracks of fear
Where are you guys getting the pics for the new re-releases, none on the DW site? They all look great and probably buy some, but still wondering Spencer if it's still gonna be an option to buy just the sleeves as previously mentioned or not viable any more as the info will be different from the original releases. I personally like the artists notes, whether they are just fans or not,they have now become part of the monster itself.
By Spun out of control
Have only gone for Halloween II and They Live so far, as I didn't own the first pressings of those anyway.

Zombi 2 I do already own, but was excited by the original remastered deluxe version pitch, so that is tempting me to re-invest. Seems to have gone quiet regarding news on that release though, which is a shame - would have been ideal to have had it out to coincide with the Frizzi show in London next week.

That said, have spent enough this month anyway.
By deafmetal
Dagar, pictures are from DW's Instagram account.