Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Thought it worth creating a separate topic for this one... On July 3rd Spencer said in the general thread:

"Oddly enough I have just been working on some represses as most have been out of stock for a long time.

here are the ones we are working on at the moment
DW001
DW002
DW005
DW006
DW007
DW008
DW009

All will have gatefold sleeves and all new liner notes / booklets DW001 will be a newly remastered version (mastered at Abbey Road!)

should all be ready for the fall.
These will be on coloured vinyl."

SCOOP!

....Great news or less welcome news from your perspective that the older titles are getting the super deluxe and/or re-mastered treatment?

Excited?

DISCUSS HERE
By oaxaca
I'm dead excited for these....

1) A REMASTERED version of Zombie Flesh Eaters
2) Proper sturdy gatefold outer sleeves. Lets face it, the older DW releases were in really thin flimsy jackets compared to those being released currently.
3) New liner notes
By EdKings
@deathwaltz.
Is this part of any subscription? Or will they just go on sale again?
Ether way.. Great great news since i’ve started to late with this expensive hobby! Missed so many great releases, especially from DW!
By hncreature
I'm excited sure but that will be an expensive drop...that's a sub re-up right there...

Staggered releases?

Bundle discount AND sub discount?

How about a bundle of just the covers and booklets for those who have it all already?
By ghostfires
It's cool, but it kinda sucks too. I'm really tired of buying multiples of something to get a "complete" package. If these are new notes, new art, and remastered quality...what's the point in keeping the first pressings? Those will become worthless on discogs, as everyone will try to unload them to pay for the new round of reissues.

I guess this would be more exciting for any and all late-comers to the DW label, as they'll be able to buy soundtracks they had missed. For someone like me that already owns everything from DW, it just sounds like a very costly upgrade if I decide to go with the new, higher quality releases.
By jgibbs4053
Well I was looking for EFNY to complete, but I guess I get to wait for these now. Didn't DW say in the past they were going to just offer new covers separately?
By Spun out of control
I guess if the demand is there - and it seems to be - then it makes sound commercial/business sense to repress.

Personally I only really discovered DW in earnest after RSD in April this year - which then prompted me to go back and buy the various titles that were still in print that caught my eye.

I did end up spending two or three times the original cost price on The Fog splatter and Zombi 2 red however via Discogs and eBay. That said, it was actually great fun playing 'vinyl detective' and tracking down the OOP titles.

The whole re-release thing happens in the DVD/Blu-ray industry all the time of course. I guess if you're satisfied with the version you've already got, there's no need to buy another and the money would be better spent on 'fresh' vinyl.

I can understand why it might p*** off the collectors, but at least those collectors have had the pleasure of spinning the disks that big longer than any latecomers and you still own an 'original' pressing :)
By maxvelvet
Honestly I'm happy but not excited, I mean, DW started with some reissues of OST not available from over 30 years...right now only 3 years have passed...in these days of vinyl-madness we have so many things to buy that it isn't a great news; a correct move should have been to repress the same album on black vinyl...doing something different, remastered, expanded and updated... means a new edition... a new must-have edition!!!
By ghostfires
I'm not knocking DW for meeting demand at all. I think that's great to keep releases in print. It keeps the cost of the resale market down somewhat, and it allows DW to stay in business, which is something we all want.

By ninjaqutie
How about you only reinvest in your favorites?? Don't buy all of them. I realize some of you are completists, but that's a $hit ton of money there and really, the past releases aren't shitty quality. I'm a DW newbie, so I'll be buying, but I may be taking advantage of people unloading their old copies at a cheaper price too. ;D Not sure yet. I'll bide my time and see what the "new hotness" looks like before I settle for the "old busted" as Will Smith would say.
By philball1974
I would hate for it to be part of a Sub, don't want to pay £200 for stuff I have.

I think the repress is a good idea with the gatefold etc, be nice to see a quieter press of Let the right one in.

@sSpencer, Heres an Idea, as part of the repress you make available just the packaging, so we can upgrade to the nice shiny DW standard of packaging and you offer a trade in to replace old for new! on the repress!

Other than that, I don't have Escape from NY so that will be sweet.

By chandler75
I'm ambivalent. New liner notes and better covers are good, but I had sort of hoped that any reissues would knock people's socks off, meaning that they would offer a whole new package with additional music/cues and maybe even new covers.

I like the old releases and am not sure I will get these if they don't offer much new stuff.
By Spun out of control
Yep, doesn't make much sense for new presses of old titles to be part of a subscription... I'd rather pick and choose what I buy, and possibly buy 2nd copies of, if significantly re-polished and re-tooled.

Don't currently have a subscription anyway.

Would like to see new funky colours/creative vinyl ideas... all adds to the fun... floating zombie hologram, al la Jack White ..?? :)

@maxvelvet: sure some of these titles were already pressed on black vinyl - or at least the ones that I found still loitering in the bricks and mortar record stores seemed to inevitably be plain black..??

As an aside, anyone else find it tricky to get the vinyl in and out of the newer heavy card gatefold sleeves like on The Fog, Assault on Precinct 13, without being very gentle? Seems to grip like a vice...
By monsterworship
Previously, I never bought let the right one in or Donnie Darko so perhaps those might be the only ones I would go for.
I might be interested in the covers and additional things for the carpenter releases though.
By NathanLurker
It's 100% sure not part of the subscription 4, guys. These titles already were in previous subs, and there's more titles here being repressed than there is included in sub4.
By Hoodini
[quote=24366]Spencer said sometime ago that there’s a Carpenter boxset on the way so expect all them to be reissued in some way and 6 sub 1 records will definetly be repressed (oct ish last I heard) certainly with the expanded artwork but not sure if expended gatefold sleeves etc [/quote]

Well iam confuse ; but i remembered this post and thought that might be the perfect idea ?
So if not ; is tha boxet going to happen ?
iam not much into the repress idea, as there are already mostly repress and some OG are still available, still this boxet idea seduced me quite a bit and would add a great supplements for subbers, if not i hope thew wont be included in subs.
this said the remastered DW001, is really expected and to be treated apart imo :)
By hncreature
@MW - LTROI and DD are the only two that didn't make the list yet...ouch
By digitalscreams
Glad I sold Escape From New York, Halloween III, They Live, Prince of Darkness on eBay recently. Would much prefer deluxe/gatefold versions of these.

But I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the audio treatment/mastering of Escape and Halloween III. To my ears, both have been sourced from old digital master files that have been heavily treated with noise reduction. The lack of noise/hiss is insane...and has left the overall sound quality of each track lifeless. If you critically listen to these two soundtracks you will notice there is something lacking, they don't excite like the original 80's pressings do. Its more drab than fab. It's like something sucked the life out of the synths. Well, that's noise reduction for you. I can tell you now....the original 80's pressings sound *very* different.

I would love it if DW could start sourcing original analog tapes and do proper full audio remastering in a studio as opposed to letting a pressing plant 'engineer' play around with a digital file. Ok, I'm sure this doesn't happen...but sometimes it sounds like it is.
By brentonwalter
I agree with this sentiment.
By cookythecook
spencer stated in the post that only Zombi 2 (DW001) is being remastered. so that will be the only one to "double dip" on if you already own all of these, which many of us do. as for value, the originals will stay as original first pressing and retain their value. for example, see every single record release, ever.
By renpen21
I'm sure there was previous mention of people been able to buy just the sleeves they'd bought previously ?
By NathanLurker
[quote=24780]I’m sure there was previous mention of people been able to buy just the sleeves they’d bought previously ?[/quote]

It's not been confirmed. Spencer had mentionned that maybe it would be an option. But nothing's been confirmed.
By dumaisaudio
He said a long time ago that he'd offer sleeves to those who already owned the records, as he didn't want people to have to buy stuff they already own again, so I'm sure he'll still honor that.

Getting DW001 is a no brainer if it's remastered. The five Carpenter releases, if they're in a box sex, and I can get them from LITA for decent shipping, then I would probably buy that and sell some of my other duplicates to make room. If they're only available individually, I'd probably only grab one or two.
By ghostfires
I'm a Carpenter fanatic, but I don't believe I would pick up any of the newly issued releases if the only updates would be a remastering (these current reissues from DW sound great as-is to me!), or if the added notes are from Carpenter himself. After seeing Carpenter speak two days in a row live, I really don't think he'll ever have new stories to tell or information to provide regarding the movies or music that you can't see/hear now on any DVD or Blu-ray extra. He just regurgitates the same couple of anecdotes every time these films are discussed. I practically have all his stories memorized!

Now if there is new art, and we can buy the sleeves by themselves...definitely up for that!
By NathanLurker
[quote=24901](...) box sex(...)
[/quote]

you really like your Boxes heh ? or is it just the Carpenter Box ? ;)