Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Purplemule74
OK, so DW teased the release of Beyond the Black Rainbow months ago. I've waited patiently for this to be released. But I fear something:

My. Head. Is. Going. To. Explode.

Ahhhh! Can't wait!

In case you haven't seen the movie, here is a trailer for it:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWF0bBKhe6o[/video]

By lazyben
The movie is interesting but the soundtrack is clearly by far the best part of it.

Given the length of the film and the paucity of dialogue therein I have been wondering (hoping) whether this is one of the double LPs due in sub 4 but who knows? Spencer marches to his own drum and it seems to work out pretty well.
By Purplemule74
Agreed Lazyben!

I did enjoy some of the visuals in the film, and some of the storyline, but it moved too slowly for my tastes.

The soundtrack is something else entirely. Wonderful.

I may suffer a blood clot if one of the licensing mix ups makes this a non-U.S. release. I would hate my clot to be on Spencer's hands.
By Whip Wilson
I actually have a vague memory of DWRC saying that Jagjaguar was releasing BTBR in the US. Now I couldn't find it via the search tool and I don't remember any other details of the post so a big grain of salt here, gang (I make my living in beer- cut me break). I do remember thinking that it kind of made sense since Jason Schmidt's amazing Sinoia Caves record was released by them.
By Purplemule74
Hi Mateo -

Thank you for the reminder concerning Sinoia Caves - listening to it again as I type. Love it.

I'm glad to hear about the possibility of a U.S. release. I don't remember that info at all, so at least it is some hopeful news.
By lazyben
The internets do have various mentions of a jagjaguwar release (which makes sense considering he's in black mountain and that's their longtime label) but there appears to be nothing concrete.

It might be different labels in different territories which is annoying but I suppose we shall have to wait anyway.
By Whip Wilson
Then wait we shall and I'll join you in spinning Sinoia Caves. Chin, chin, gents!
By Darren LD1984
Bring home the mother lode, Barry.
By Re-animated Cat
I really enjoyed the movie and actually loved the slow pacing (Solaris is my all time favourite, go figure). However, the whole thing just felt a little underdeveloped, it had some neat ideas but it didn't amount to much in the end. Also, the last 10 mins or so weren't great, when it suddenly turns into a slasher movie. Nice movie overall, but it could've done with a little more refinement, IMO.

The soundtrack however, is really ace. I remember Spencer mentioning the vinyl would drop in September, but that's probably changed by now ;)
By blackwaterrisin
1st post.

Spencer just told someone on the twitter yesterday that there would be an announcement on June 24 regarding BTBR.

By Whip Wilson
[quote=21426]1st post.

Spencer just told someone on the twitter yesterday that there would be an announcement on June 24 regarding BTBR.

[/quote]Thanks for the hot tip and welcome to the forums.
By lazyben
I just found out that Jason Schmidt was in a long defunct band called pipedream (pipedream (2) on discogs) under the alias Jupiter Six. I always loved that band and would recommend their mini LP to anyone on here.
By Whip Wilson
Thanks, for that, lazyben. What's it like?
By lazyben
It's instrumental, sort of post-rock but more kosmiche, maybe even proggy, than most of what gets called that. I'm not sure it really sounds like anything else I know, certainly not black mountain (not as heavy) or beyond the black rainbow (more instruments).

I'm going to give it a spin later as it's been at least a year and that is most remiss of me. I will try to improve on the terrible description above after listening.
By lazyben
OK, I'm back with my risible attempts at describing what music sounds like.

The lp I'm talking about is called, at best guess, FTLY and came out on amberley in the UK. There appears to have been a Canadian pressing too. And there's an earlier cd album, a 7" on earworm and a track on a compilation lp on enraptured. I have the rest but it's this album that has stuck with me over the years.

The instruments sound like keyboards, heavily treated guitar and drums. No vocals. The whole thing could easily pass as a soundtrack to something thoughtful and rather sad. Like if solaris was Canadian. The lazy comparison is to fellow canucks Godspeed You Black Emperor but there's none of the field recordings, strings or huge crescendos, someone like Icebreaker would be a better comparison if anyone knew who they were.

Side 1 and its two tracks would basically be the best soundtrack to flying a spaceship straight into the sun ever. It builds and loops and more fuzz comes in as the circuits start to fry and it's all glorious and a bit sad and burns out at the end.

Side 2 begins in an even more elegiac fashion before going a bit formless for the second track then sounding like the trippy bit from 2001 meets ummagumma era Floyd for track 3.

The first three tracks are why I love this album and I really can't think why anyone who likes schmidt's later work wouldn't like this.

A full refund is available for the amount paid for this review heh heh.
By Whip Wilson
Fantastic, mang. I'm going to ferret this varmint out. Thanks, lazyben. You've done a yeoman's labor.
By lazyben
There's one that the seller is claiming is new for 10 bucks on discogs
By Whip Wilson
It was already in my cart. Done and dusted.
By lazyben
Cool, hope you like it. At least if it's cheap you'll be less inclined to hunt me down if you don't :)
By Darren LD1984
That looks amazing!

Is there a quote on the spine?
By dumaisaudio
Nice! Glad to see more artwork in the same style as Maniac, looks rad!
By dumaisaudio
US customers can pre-order the soundtrack on clear vinyl HERE, also bundled with the DVD. Is this not out on Bluray?
By ghostfires
Yes it is out on blu. Guess they didn't want to go that fancy though!! Oh well, I already ordered...looks too awesome to pass up on regardless of what comes with it!