Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Spun out of control
Watched this last night on the DVD with my JagJaguwar copy - elements reminded me of the recent Under the Skin, others 2001 - though I think those are both better movies.

As others have said it is very slow moving and almost hypnotic - deliberately so it seems. Might have been an excellent 40 min short, and felt a bit drawn out being 110 instead.

Would like to see what the director could do with a bigger, Hollywood style budget. Would imagine him doing an intriguing Alien movie

The music does feel like a 'third character' however, as the best soundtracks do, and it certainly stood out. The film wouldn't have been so watchable without it.

The only thing that jarred for me were the beer swilling hicks at the end, when it descended into too familiar slasher territory.

Well, that's my 'Barry Norman/ Roger Ebert' episode over.
By Darren LD1984
Barry looks a lot like Christian Bale when he has his appliances on.
By underdog513
Got my sub pack today, and wow this release is amazing. The almost ambient nature while still making you uneasy and introducing an ebb and flow of suspense. Of course nothing in this sub pack was anything shy of exceptional
By siforster
Was hoping to wait until my DVD turned up to give the ST a bit of context, but it's not here yet so I opened it anyway. My sub copy is definitely a sort of veiny pink thing (eeww), as illustrated thusly:

It's also blowing my mind. My favourite DW release so far.
By voidhead
I got my subber copy yesterday and gave it a spin just now. Amazing album, top notch packaging, full points for a great release BUT here's what I noticed on tracks 1 and 3:

Aaand here's what they sound like:

Track 1 (first one around the 18sec mark)

Track 3 (first one around the 14sec mark)

Anybody else notice anything or is it just my copy?
By scottydoo
Quick question for those that bought the jagjaguwar version does it have the deathwaltz logo anywhere on the packaging ?
By chandler75
I have the sub, and it has both the Jagjaguwar and DW label on the back.

The spine only has the Jagjaguwar label # 253, whereas the obi only has the DW label # 029.5.
By scottydoo
Yeah I'm guessing that the U.S. version will have both on but thought I'd ask the fine people on the board before I source one
By tim28212
@scott, I got the jag version and the DW logo is on the bottom left back corner beside the word Jagjaguwar. Mine does not have the DW 29.5 label anywhere on it that I have been able to find.
By scottydoo
Excellent thankyou Tim need t get one of these now for the collection
By dumaisaudio
Got my sub copies yesterday, I think the sub color is the best of them. I'm also glad the sleeve is glossy, I think it suits the artwork much better than the textured sleeve would, since it's a still from the film and not drawn artwork. Can't wait to spin it later.
By dumaisaudio
I'm three tracks into Side A, and I'm noticing some distortion and surface noise in the right channel only. It's happening every 5-10 seconds, so definitely enough to distract from the listening experience. I'm sort of seeing some of the marks that @voidhead posted about, but either way, my copy definitely has issues. I guess I'll email DW, but with them being in LA, I'm not sure if they're keeping up with emails.

I'm bummed, as I was looking forward to this record the most. I played House of the Devil earlier today, and I was surprised how good it sounded for a pic disc.
By colicub
...is anyone else still waiting for their non-sub copy? Have they not shipped yet?
By Frizzle-Frizzi
my order still on hold on from ages
By kumachan
Can anyone tell me how you can tell the sub copy colour and sub copy black apart without opening them? All other releases are easy as the colour comes in an oversized textured sleeve but this one seems to be an identical sleeve...
By brucechimp
Did anyone else get theirs shipped in one of those horrible 'envelope' mailers? The cover of mine was trashed, cause those mailers offer no protection at all for the 'rigors' of international shipping. DW are usually really good with the packing side of things. It's very disappointing.
By neonblack
Wondering if the second pressing of this will be black or a new color variant..ideas? First press slipped by me at my local shop.
By deafmetal
Good article, Si.

For those of you with Amazon Prime memberships, you can stream this film for free there.

By zuko
Spinning this… AGAIN! One of the best of the year, no doubt. Well worth the wait :)
By Peek-a-boo
I listened to this twice today on my more 'high fidelity' set up that I have rather than my lounge set up. There is a hell of a lot of noise on the sub version. I tried cleaning it but it didn't really help.

I'll never part with this record, but I'm hoping to see a high fidelity black vinyl version I can buy that's not pressed by Jagjaguwar. I hope this happens...
By ninjaqutie
[quote=35794]For those of you with Amazon Prime memberships, you can stream this film for free there.

[/quote]

Good to know! I may just do that tonight!
By philball1974
Actually just watched this on Netflix. Oh my!! what a pile of shit!! Maybe it was too intelligent for me, or maybe it really was just slow and boring.

Great score though and good to see the album artwork in context.