Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By inksb
I was just going to post this. Definitely sad to see it end but this was inevitable and hopefully this will allow Spencer & Co to pursue stuff that they have more control over.

I just looked at DW output for '22. Outside of the Godzilla releases (there were 7) we had 4 new scores (Titane, Doom Patrol S1, NY Ninja and The Nighthouse) and a handful of resissues / respresses (Phenomena, Halloween, Hellraiser, Prince of Darkness, Dredd). Not really that exciting and this is year is very similar, mostly Godzilla stuff, a few new things (Hellraiser, Prey, Smile & Planet of the Vampires).

End of an era for sure.
By static14
It's shame because they had the juice to release some stuff the other labels couldn't / wouldn't initially, but that has kinda faded over time anyway. Wish Spencer, Mo, and Shannon the best.

The writing was definitely on the wall when they sold to Funko.
By texasvinyl
I remember walking into Good Records in 2012 back when they were still on lower Greenville and there were cool bars there (now it's all yuppie crap like artisanal popsicle shops). I was getting more into soundtracks looking for cool samples and such when I saw one for Zombie Flesh Eaters. Brought it home despite a $40 price tag which was super expensive for the time. I was hooked. It was a passion project for sure.
By Bezulsqy
I see this now for the first time... Don't have a lot of feelings about this. I am sure that Mo, Spencer and Shannon can and are going to do whatever they want. They have a lot of connections to start a new or do something totally different.
By inksb
That's not particularly promising as VMP is one of the more expensive labels and have just as many pressing issues as Mondo/DW had.

I hate their subscription model and they focus more on general populace interests so I can't expect this will be anything other than some nice packages for popular scores
By Bub
inksb wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:02 pm I hate their subscription model and they focus more on general populace interests so I can't expect this will be anything other than some nice packages for popular scores
So they're basically the Funko of the record industry? 😁

I've never looked into their sub but are titles offered outside of it? And if so, do they make sub variants & standard variants?
By inksb
Bub wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:13 pm
inksb wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:02 pm I hate their subscription model and they focus more on general populace interests so I can't expect this will be anything other than some nice packages for popular scores
So they're basically the Funko of the record industry? 😁

I've never looked into their sub but are titles offered outside of it? And if so, do they make sub variants & standard variants?
Some of their stuff is available outside of subscription, usually at a $10-15 mark up. But not everything, it seems like things they pressed larger quantities of end up going this route.

What's also annoying is they do random shadow drops to members only too. So there will be a limited pressing randomly that if you didn't check your email that morning you will miss out on. Just a weird way to run a record label
By Bub
Thanks, Inks. I guess we'll see how it plays out. I'll say though it's unfortunate all of the ex-Mondos didn't team up together. That could've been a giant 🖕 to those suit & tie assholes.