Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By ScoJo
Like you all, I could fill a hundred slots pretty easily with 'treasures', so my own narrowing criteria has been: how difficult would it be to replace/what's my personal connection with this particular copy.

Having said that, they are obviously all great albums of music that I love.

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4796 times

So in the top left 1. and 2. slots, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is getting harder and harder to find, and this is the actual copy I've had since I was a 13yr old monster kid. Similarly, EVIL DEAD is getting very difficult to track the Varese, and it does look likely that we may never see an official repress of this particular score. Everything about it is Full Force Feels for me, although in this case it's not the actual copy that I bought from my local Virgin megastore back in '82/'83, I had to repurchase in the last fifteen years or so. Still insanely precious to me, will never part.

3. slot is taken by THE HIRED HAND - although this is the first pressing, it's actually not particularly hard to get hold of, but it earns it's place amongst the treasures here because it might well be my favourite score of all time. I waited and waited for decades for this record, and it was actually the early days of this very forum which tipped me off to it's release. I almost lost my mind. Later on, I tried to work with Bruce Langhorne for a bit, to put out another unreleased Fonda score of his - he was the sweetest, most humble artist I've ever met, and then he died. Any top ten score list that I put together - this one will be on it.

Slot 4. is for BEDAZZLED - this is the UK first press which took me an age to find. When somebody introduced me to the film back in the 90s, it was the funniest thing I had ever seen, it's still right up there. Incredible film. And it's amazing score plunged me head first into a lifelong adoration of Dudley Moore's music. I have every jazz side his trio did, all his film work... but Bedazzled is something quite special.

5. is obviously super rare and exquisite, what wonderful people took it upon themselves to put this out in the world? THE KEEP is Possibly TD's greatest score, for a bonkers mythical horror fantasy. I waited almost forty years for somebody to put this on my turntable and in the end I had to do it myself.

6. is an odd choice, but meaningful in lots of ways and not easy to find - LUCIFER RISING is a three LP set of film music by Bobby Beausoleil and the Freedom Orchestra, recorded whilst in prison, for Kenneth Anger's amazing cult experimental film. The reason it's here is that I became obsessed with getting the 3rd pressing of this box set (which comes with BBs artwork, posters etc and on some incredible coloured vinyl) after the fact and it was the early days of Discogs - I found a copy in Lithuania and was pretty nervous about the whole deal, but the guy turned out to be literally the sweetest dude in the world - he sent me extensive short videos showing the condition of every single part of the set, and basically gave me enough faith in humanity/sellers to last a lifetime of 'lesser' experiences! So yes it's amazing music, and I really dig everything about it, but this box set represents something special to me beyond that.

7. is another personal story. I could easily have put my Varese PHANTASM in this slot as I love every single damn thing about it, but again, it's not the copy that I had as a kid (boo hoo). And although it's always a bit pricey, copies are fairly easily gettable if you really want it. So I've chosen this rarer Japanese version (with different tracks/music in parts) because once again it would be difficult to replace, but mainly because it represents feels for me - in this case, the generosity and friendliness of our STBC community. Knowing that I was jonesing hard for the Visurama edition, young @deafmetal went ahead and aquired this spare copy, then shipped it out to me (US to UK, mind!) along with some flyers and an original Deaf Tall Man sketch! I'm still incredibly bowled over by this gesture, forever grateful to him whenever I spin it, and it reminds me what a truly special bunch we have here.

8. ANDROMEDA STRAIN I have mentioned before, and it's more straightforward - I really like the film and the electronic score, it's a good one. But it's purely the rarity and insanely amazing production of this record that excites me, and even directly inspired me when I put out the Messiah of Evil soundtrack a few years back. This one is in the 'I just like cool stuff sometimes' catagory!

9. is another very personal obsession, encased in wax. SOLARIS was a massive film experience for the young ScoJo - I distinctly recall a sunday afternoon when I was around 12, my mom making sunday dinner, and I flipped on this film. It was the first foreign language film I ever watched and my first Tarkovsky experience (of many). It's no exhaggeration really to say that three hours later I was a changed person. So for years I was obsessed with the music, and whether it was possible to get the soundtrack - until the internets came along. Specifically ebay. I remember that flush of excitement when you could literally type in all your heart's desires, and many of them would show up! (for a price!) I managed to find a Russian seller with this original copy, I think it cost me around £100 back then - this was looong before the flood of re-issues that would come years later. It actually turns out that this is a bootleg, and the only official release at that time was a Japanese album (of the rerecording) but I don't care. I would never sell this one.

10. slot is my only 'cheat' - I feel okay about it though. What really got me into Morricone big time was a gf introducing me to the three CD 'Mondo Morricone' set back in the 90s, and I fell hard. This was literally the best music I had ever heard, and set me off on all sorts of tangents. But years later I discovered that they had actually all been released individually on LP, and the hunt was on! It took quite a while, but was incredibly satisfying when I finally had all three volumes. These are the conerstone of my Morricone collection, and still some of the best film music I've ever heard. You could take most of my other Morricone LPs away if you really had to, but I would fight you very hard for these three lovelies.

By Hatter313
All of these are just wonderful.

I think i may need to put my OG NOTLD in a new slot on mine, it was one along with POTP that i really hated to cut. Theres a varese phantasm (or was) at vinegar syndrome's store not too far from me, and if the world ever opens and its still there i may go for it. its where i got my varese NOTLD...and that TCM that caused a bit of a stir two summers back.

And the Evil Dead....talk about SCARCE. easily my top "grail" these days but not at the prices i'm still seeing...Eventually i buckled and paid somewhere around $60 just for the CD, JUST FOR THE CD!
By elifunk
ScoJo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am
elifunk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 pm i'm really in love with these 'recent' soundtracks records:
Ah man, great stuff- based on your others, I obvs really need to look into Perrak. Oh and Ive forgotten exactly what it is, but I always really wanted that top right Japanese boot (one eyed cat). Remind me what it is please, and do you have a source?

*EDIT*

Ahh it's this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-%E7%89% ... e/12284863

I remember now- I always had the impression that the 'lost 1971 pinky violence soundtrack' backstory was bullshit? We were doing the Damn Fine Cast back then and I looked long and hard to find any reference to the supposed unreleased movie, with not a single hit. Very fishy ;) Anyway, it's funk/breakbeats ya? Old or new, would you say?
ahah yes is it a fake description to make hype.
it is actually a compilation of crazy funky tunes from japanese tv series and j-movie.
all these tracks are extracted from japanese cd releases (not legally of course), so nothing of new but unpublished material on wax. i love it regardless.

the same concept of these records (not sure if the last one is authorized)
By ScoJo
elifunk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:35 pm
ScoJo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:25 am
elifunk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:24 pm i'm really in love with these 'recent' soundtracks records:
Ah man, great stuff- based on your others, I obvs really need to look into Perrak. Oh and Ive forgotten exactly what it is, but I always really wanted that top right Japanese boot (one eyed cat). Remind me what it is please, and do you have a source?

*EDIT*

Ahh it's this:

https://www.discogs.com/Various-%E7%89% ... e/12284863

I remember now- I always had the impression that the 'lost 1971 pinky violence soundtrack' backstory was bullshit? We were doing the Damn Fine Cast back then and I looked long and hard to find any reference to the supposed unreleased movie, with not a single hit. Very fishy ;) Anyway, it's funk/breakbeats ya? Old or new, would you say?
ahah yes is it a fake description to make hype.
it is actually a compilation of crazy funky tunes from japanese tv series and j-movie.
all these tracks are extracted from japanese cd releases (not legally of course), so nothing of new but unpublished material on wax. i love it regardless.

the same concept of these records (not sure if the last one is authorized)
Ahh cool! So theyre not 'new' tracks then? All old 60s-onwards stuff? Man then I definitely need to track it down thanks! I have the Killing Melody boot but looks like I also need those others too haha! Thanks bud
By ScoJo
elifunk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 pm exactly, 70's groovy stuff! a must have imho
btw - speaking of Meiko Kaji, before the Lockdown I was prepping to make an animated music video for a Japanese experimental pop singer (she used to be in then Frank Chickens!)

I was mutating Barbie dolls and did one based on Meiko from that lp sleeve:

IMG_2092.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG (803.13 KiB) Viewed 4763 times

I hope I get to make that video!

By deafmetal
Treasured for me has a very particular meaning. I have some nice rare Italian and Japanese OST which I like quite a lot, some of them I even love, but none of them made the cut here. Not a single Beat records vinyl (though The Beyond and Manchester Morgue were in the top 20), and not even my autographed copy of Halloween or Mansell's The Fountain made the cut over my absolutely beat-to-shit copy of Goldsmith's Star Trek OST or John William's Jaws OST. I chose these dollar bin relics because they are "treasured" to me and have been in my collection forever. They are also ingrained into my soul along with their corresponding films much more than some of their more foreign and modern counterparts. All of the soundtracks (and films) in this photo had a monumental impact on my life growing up. Leone's The Man With No Name trilogy was both my introduction to Morricone (and Alessandroni & Edda) as well as spaghetti western. I can trace my roots to multiple paths of interest in both instrumental music and westerns directly to the film A Fistful of Dollars. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - I will probably go to my grave as saying it has one of the greatest pieces of music ever created, if not the greatest film score ever written. I will never get tired of it no matter how much Metallica uses it or how many beer commercials use it on TV.

Conan The Barbarian is a triumph, both brash and beautiful, and I have written elsewhere on this forum about how much that film impacted me at a young age. The OST just soars. R-rated films were difficult for me to source, but did I manage to view Alien which is a Goldsmith gem. I randomly ended up with this beautiful '87 Silva Screen pressing decades ago and have always tried to keep it in really nice condition. If you ever have a chance to view the isolated score on one of those DVD or bluray releases I recommend it. So, Poledouris is a genius, right along with Goldsmith, and the dark energy he channeled to write Dracula is just unworldly. It feels both angelic and demonic. I don't know if you just had to be a hormone-fueled teenager in the early 90's, but this film did something to my brain, and the soundtrack did something beyond even that. I have probably listened to both Conan and Dracula more than any other OST's in my collection.

Jaws. What even needs to be said? Top ten. Forever. The film as well, hell, the film is probably in my top three. John Williams seems to get skipped here sometimes, and I don't follow a lot of his other work, but the man has some "great classics" level of work in his catalog, and I did not even include E.T., though that one is probably in my top 20 as well. I've already mentioned Goldsmith's Trek, which was another film that really tripped me out as a young kid in the early 80's. I've had the LP forever along with my copy of this Star Wars LP. It's funny that I was just seeing Bub spin one of these in the now playing thread, because this was the first vinyl LP I ever purchased. I must have been around age five or six and Star Wars was everything to me. Empire had just been released and I walked into the local five & dime (for real, it was a Woolworth's) and this LP was front and center in the discount bins upon entry. I had no idea it was Moog remixes, I just saw it was Star Wars music and had to have it. It probably launched my love affair with electronic music at the time.

Blade Runner is an interesting one, and the debates will continue on about the most pure OST. I've had the New American Orchestra LP in my collection forever, but it was obviously a somewhat cheesy re-recording. The Vangelis LP is lovely thing, and I am very happy to have the '94 Vangelis OST that I know and always wanted on vinyl. Lastly, The Shining. This LP was given to me a a gift about twenty years ago and it is now nearly worn out. I have used it in countless DJ sets and mixes, have studied those Wendy Carlos & Rachel Elkind tracks backwards and forwards and they are perfect. Kubrick's sourcing of material is something akin to a mad scientist, yet is always seems to work out for him. The whole mythology of this OST release is mind-boggling. I need to get another copy.
Le Planete Sauvage - can’t live without this fonk.

The Thing- i couldnt leave off the maestro.

Dawn of the dead - needed something to rep my hometown. And i die for this cover and package.

Tron legacy - such a great epic score and i get a lot of great vibes from it regarding the early days of STBC when they sold a bunch of the original press in the disney store.

Akira - symphonic Suite. Because it took me forever to find and pull the trigger on this one. And its akira.

Diabolica - this is the funkiest soundtrack on the planet, And the cover is mesmerizing in every way.

Halloween III - i had to include a carpenter soundtrack, this one is essential. But to be honest i would be just as happy if i could only have the theme from assualt on precint 13... because its basic and brilliant.

Return of the living dead - soundtrack. every track is perfect. I have many different versions, this artwork is japanese AF.

Blade Runner - ost. My favorite movie and soundtrack of all time, no question. This particular release is also great.

Trainspotting - an essential compilation of brit pop, electronica and rock.
Attachments
C7BFE183-FE7B-4482-A667-7D1266E5CD41.jpeg
C7BFE183-FE7B-4482-A667-7D1266E5CD41.jpeg (97.23 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
B624F1D4-0ECD-4BBE-B669-94E332BCDC2B.jpeg
B624F1D4-0ECD-4BBE-B669-94E332BCDC2B.jpeg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
79BDE85A-20AB-4B0B-8AA5-284F56B18287.jpeg
79BDE85A-20AB-4B0B-8AA5-284F56B18287.jpeg (97.53 KiB) Viewed 4739 times
And alist of some of the soundtrscks i pulled but realized i had way more than 10 already.

Devil Man - bgm. My fav anime.
Fright night - one of my favorite movies but i had to go with ROtLD instead.

Miracle Mile - tangerine dream. It killed me not to have any tangerine dream on my final list.

The shining - its a classic, and likely not gonna ever be reissusd.

Monster club - monsters rule ok?

Lost in translation - another soundtrack that was an essential part of a movie that i love.

Lost highway - ost. It also killed me that couldnt fit Any Trent Reznor on my list, i should probably pick this over trainspotting but ...

Posession - ost. The opening track is bonkers.
By texasvinyl
Love these lists and quite a few I thought about including like Phantasm, Tron, the Thing, Blade Runner, the Beyond, Aliens, Coraline, the Last of Us, Pan's Labyrinth, the first Brigitte LP and Daughters of Darkness. I chose "treasured" based on which ones I consistently listen to the most over the years which are also special pieces in some way.

I wound up with these ten which would probably change if I did it again in an hour.

Air - admittedly not their strongest album but one I've listened to maybe the most out of them all. Technically not a soundtrack (silent film of course) but intended to be a score so I included it.

A Trip Around the World - maybe my favorite album of any genre. Also not a soundtrack I suppose, but it gets an exception.

Colpo Rovente - exciting, explosive, one of the earlier Italian soundtracks I heard and the one that made my head explode

Vergogna Schifosi - a Morricone had to make the list, and this is a favorite I listen to a lot

Zelda: LTTP - best vgm score ever to the best game ever, plus it's this awesome test pressing version in the felt messenger bag

Zoo Folle - like Colpo this blew my mind and still does.

La Poliziotta - I come to like this more and more, start to finish an exciting and interesting record. I often play the rip on my phone when I go for walks in the neighborhood.

La Planete Sauvage - it's just really good, it was either this or the Brigitte

Lost Highway - my most wanted OST for many years, I wore the CD out as a kid for years and influenced my taste in music a lot.

Lingua D'Argento - funky, beautiful, a joy start to finish. I listen to it an awful lot
Attachments
IMG_20200507_171401~2.jpg
IMG_20200507_171401~2.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 4731 times
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:17 am
inksb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am Some day I'll own a copy of Tomb of Dracula :P
Not interested in the repress inks? Last I looked it was still cheap and plentiful
Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing but I thought the repress was sold out and going for $80+

If it is easier to obtain at a lower price please direct me to where I can purchase it asap :)
By ScoJo
inksb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:01 pm
inksb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:33 am Some day I'll own a copy of Tomb of Dracula :P
Not interested in the repress inks? Last I looked it was still cheap and plentiful
Maybe I was looking at the wrong thing but I thought the repress was sold out and going for $80+

If it is easier to obtain at a lower price please direct me to where I can purchase it asap :)
My bad, chap - it's obviously been a little while since I last looked, and yes indeed the reissue has jumped in price :( For the longest while they continuously had copies for sale at hhv.de, I naively assumed they still had stock sorry.
By Hatter313
@deaf....no Frizzi from you, I’m shocked! However your selections may be one of the most perfect sampling of essentials ever, spot on!

I need a better copy of fistful for dollars, I have the 10 inch reissue from a few years back

I would have considered Dracula, except my copy is a Portuguese pressing from hell thats scratched and barely worth it....oh please someone repress this record!
By inksb
ScoJo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:04 am
inksb wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:01 pm

My bad, chap - it's obviously been a little while since I last looked, and yes indeed the reissue has jumped in price :( For the longest while they continuously had copies for sale at hhv.de, I naively assumed they still had stock sorry.
I
No worries, I was really hoping you would point me in the direction to get a copy. I want one so bad haha. I honestly think I started looking for them right around the time the repress went oos.
By deafmetal
Enjoying all the lists and seeing some of the crossover. I had a few that just missed the list that I see on others: Phantasm, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Halloween III, a lot of horror there. Also, some great animation with Akira, Fantastic Planet, and Tomb of Dracula. Sorgini's Zoo Folle was also in my top 20 along with MM, such a killer album. I need to revisit that La Poliziotta, @texas. Also, nice mention of Lost Highway. I feel like a lot of us spent some time with that album on the stereo over the years.

Great thread, Scott!
By ScoJo
deafmetal wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 am Enjoying all the lists and seeing some of the crossover. I had a few that just missed the list that I see on others: Phantasm, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Halloween III, a lot of horror there. Also, some great animation with Akira, Fantastic Planet, and Tomb of Dracula. Sorgini's Zoo Folle was also in my top 20 along with MM, such a killer album. I need to revisit that La Poliziotta, @texas. Also, nice mention of Lost Highway. I feel like a lot of us spent some time with that album on the stereo over the years.

Great thread, Scott!
Agreed - in terms simply of 'OST I love', I see tons of crossover with my own faves.

Having said that - from that angle, any given day I could just rock up here with my answer being

1. To Live and Die in LA

2. To Live and Die in LA

3. To Live and Die in LA

4. To Live and Die in LA

5. To Live and Die in LA

6. To Live and Die in LA

7. To Live and Die in LA

8. To Live and Die in LA

9. To Live and Die in LA

10. To Live and Die in LA
I just went ahead now as I kept on thinking about my Top 10.

As all of you have already mentioned, this was quite tricky. I decided to really focus on movie scores and not include adjacent categories like TV or Library to make the choice a bit easier for myself.

My criteria were that I obviously need to really dig the music, and then the personal value that the LP has to me. And that is to certain extent defined by the record being not so easy to find/an OG that I had been looking for for quite some time and that would not be so easy to replace as say a DW or WW release I bought a year ago or so.

Tentaculi: My favourite Cipriani score, I just think it’s so much fun and my whole family loves it (can’t say that about many of my other choices from below).

Thief: My favourite TD album and the Audio Fidelity pressing that came out some years ago is my favourite version as it sounds fantastic and has “Confrontation”, the Craig Safan track at the end – not everyone agrees as the track “Beach scene” was omitted but I think “Confrontation” is so important in the context of the movie at the end (besides just being a bloody good track).

NoES: I don’t watch the movies anymore, not even for nostalgia - but they were VERY important to me when I was younger as they were the entry ticket to forming my taste for unusual sights and sounds. Still love most of the scores and the first one is (by far) the best imo.

Halloween III: Never get tired of it. I think I have owned pretty much every pressing of this (and had it on CD) but I prefer the OG due to the classic artwork and as a listening experience – that Silver Shamrock theme is what it is but it’s not more than 1 time that I want to listen to it when putting the record on.

Suspiria: Was torn between this and Dawn and then just went for Suspiria – it’s such a trip.

The Boogey Man: Not better than Halloween I but I find myself listening to this a bit more often than to Halloween I or II as I actually have become a bit tired of those tunes, they are just so familiar. And it took me a long time to find an OG at a decent price.

Il Giorno del Cobra: Since I saw the movie on late night TV some 20 years ago that main theme/song got stuck in my head. The score is not so well known and it is hard to find but I think it’s an absolute banger.

Das Boot: Not only the first score but the first record I bought when I was a kid (this is not that record though as that got lost in a move).

LaDonna Invisibile: Probably my favourite Morricone. The entire album is like enjoying a summer breeze cruising around in a dark blue 69' Alfa Romeo Spider convertible at lake Garda.

The Beyond: I have been listening to this score in various formats for more than 20 years and like Halloween III never get tired of it. The OG was not cheap but I just had to have it.
Attachments
45.jpeg
Add description
45.jpeg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 4682 times
51.jpeg
Add description
51.jpeg (358.25 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
By ScoJo
Fantastic picks @Chris, and a snake-themed one I now feel I need to check out :)

An OG Bogeyman huh? Veeeeery nice, I probably felt the same amount of joy when I finally scored an OG Midnight OST

And you're spot on about Thief - essential edition imho, especially if paired with a nice copy of the original European pressing ;)
ScoJo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:09 pm Fantastic picks @Chris, and a snake-themed one I now feel I need to check out :)

An OG Bogeyman huh? Veeeeery nice, I probably felt the same amount of joy when I finally scored an OG Midnight OST

And you're spot on about Thief - essential edition imho, especially if paired with a nice copy of the original European pressing ;)
Yeah, ScoJo - I was really happy when I finally held that Boogeyman in my hands. Over the years I have become more "liberal" with my spending on records/grails (which I am now cutting back again substantially due to corona), but I have always preferred to spend a little more on a record I really want rather than buying several new releases that are nice to have but not essential.

Boogeyman though I bought 4 or 5 years ago when I really couldn't see myself spending more than around € 60 - 70 for a record.
By ScoJo
ChrisMcQueen007 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:37 pm
ScoJo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 12:09 pm Fantastic picks @Chris, and a snake-themed one I now feel I need to check out :)

Yeah, ScoJo - I was really happy when I finally held that Boogeyman in my hands. Over the years I have become more "liberal" with my spending on records/grails (which I am now cutting back again substantially due to corona), but I have always preferred to spend a little more on a record I really want rather than buying several new releases that are nice to have but not essential.

Boogeyman though I bought 4 or 5 years ago when I really couldn't see myself spending more than around € 60 - 70 for a record.
I forgot to say- Das Boot is an incredible score!
By Hatter313
ScoJo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:49 am
deafmetal wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 am Enjoying all the lists and seeing some of the crossover. I had a few that just missed the list that I see on others: Phantasm, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, Halloween III, a lot of horror there. Also, some great animation with Akira, Fantastic Planet, and Tomb of Dracula. Sorgini's Zoo Folle was also in my top 20 along with MM, such a killer album. I need to revisit that La Poliziotta, @texas. Also, nice mention of Lost Highway. I feel like a lot of us spent some time with that album on the stereo over the years.

Great thread, Scott!
Agreed - in terms simply of 'OST I love', I see tons of crossover with my own faves.

Having said that - from that angle, any given day I could just rock up here with my answer being

1. To Live and Die in LA

2. To Live and Die in LA

3. To Live and Die in LA

4. To Live and Die in LA

5. To Live and Die in LA

6. To Live and Die in LA

7. To Live and Die in LA

8. To Live and Die in LA

9. To Live and Die in LA

10. To Live and Die in LA
I could live with this....for sure.