Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

I did a quick little thrift store stop earlier today & came across this album from 1968, originally released 1959.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2991465
R-11967089-1525656928-9918.jpeg.jpg
R-11967089-1525656928-9918.jpeg.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

What caught my eye was the mention of INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL VON KARAJAN RECORDING OF MUSIC FEATURED IN 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY. So I dug a little on my phone for more info & sure enough what was used in the film is not on any of the previously issued OSTs on LP. I'm not sure if this is very common knowledge or not but I wasn't aware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_S ... oundtrack)

The initial MGM soundtrack album release contained none of the material from the altered and uncredited rendition of "Aventures", used a different recording of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" than that heard in the film, and a longer excerpt of "Lux Aeterna" than that in the film.

Citing John Culshaw's autobiography Putting the Record Straight,[29] the Internet Movie Database explains

The end music credits do not list a conductor and orchestra for "Also Sprach Zarathustra." Stanley Kubrick wanted the Herbert von Karajan / Vienna Philharmonic version on English Decca for the film's soundtrack, but Decca executives did not want their recording "cheapened" by association with the movie, and so gave permission on the condition that the conductor and orchestra were not named. After the movie's successful release, Decca tried to rectify its blunder by re-releasing the recording with an "As Heard in 2001" flag printed on the album cover. John Culshaw recounts the incident in "Putting the Record Straight" (1981)... In the meantime, MGM released the "official soundtrack" L.P. with Karl Böhm's Berlin Philharmonic "Also Sprach Zarathustra"[30] discreetly substituting for von Karajan's version.
So if you want the recording that was actually used in the film, I'm sure it can be found easily in charity shops/dollar bins. There are plenty of editions available. There probably isn't any major difference in the recordings but if you can find it for cheap, then why not.

https://www.discogs.com/master/view/179812

I'm also kinda surprised Mondo wasn't able to get that recording on their recent release since they pulled off the Alex North one. That would've been a key selling point.
Great post, Bub. This is a relatively well-known issue within the hardcore 2001 fans (if there is such a thing) and it reared it's uglyish head again with the recent reissue as you say. I have a fine solution for anyone in a pinch; save $35 and spend a combined $5 on the original OST and the above-listed LP. And the artwork doesn't even stink. Simple!
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am Great post, Bub. This is a relatively well-known issue within the hardcore 2001 fans (if there is such a thing) and it reared it's uglyish head again with the recent reissue as you say. I have a fine solution for anyone in a pinch; save $35 and spend a combined $5 on the original OST and the above-listed LP. And the artwork doesn't even stink. Simple!
Mateo Sanboval, ladies and gentlemen- distributing shade at hand-propelled velocity since records began!

*applause*
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 am Great post, Bub. This is a relatively well-known issue within the hardcore 2001 fans (if there is such a thing) and it reared it's uglyish head again with the recent reissue as you say. I have a fine solution for anyone in a pinch; save $35 and spend a combined $5 on the original OST and the above-listed LP. And the artwork doesn't even stink. Simple!
Much appreciated Mateo. And right on!