Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

inksb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:27 pm This weeks arrivals. I spun Bolero this morning, it's quite good. Thanks @scojo for bringing it to my attention in the Canon discussion

unnamed (6).jpg
48B46C5B-802D-449F-8D37-0F7165F0271B.gif
48B46C5B-802D-449F-8D37-0F7165F0271B.gif (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1747 times
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:00 pm
inksb wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:27 pm This weeks arrivals. I spun Bolero this morning, it's quite good. Thanks @scojo for bringing it to my attention in the Canon discussion

unnamed (6).jpg
very nice ones @Inksb

I should get that Maddalena as well. Was looking for an OG but I see there is a bootleg from the eighties that looks very much like the OG. If I am paying a lot I want to get the OG of course. How does this re-issue sound @Inskb?
@deaf do you know what the deal is with that? And how that bootleg sounds?
Listening to Maddalena right now, at first I was worried that it was a flat sounding pressing with no dynamics but the opening track is quite quiet and takes a bit to build. I have never heard this score so it's a first time listen. Once it gets going it sounds pretty good to my ears (again nothing to compare it to as I don't have any other pressings). This copy does have an issue though and that's constant crackle & static in the background, I am going to send it through the ultrasonic cleaner this weekend to see if that clears it up or if it's just part of the pressing.
inksb wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:32 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:00 pm

unnamed (6).jpg
very nice ones @Inksb

I should get that Maddalena as well. Was looking for an OG but I see there is a bootleg from the eighties that looks very much like the OG. If I am paying a lot I want to get the OG of course. How does this re-issue sound @Inskb?
@deaf do you know what the deal is with that? And how that bootleg sounds?
Listening to Maddalena right now, at first I was worried that it was a flat sounding pressing with no dynamics but the opening track is quite quiet and takes a bit to build. I have never heard this score so it's a first time listen. Once it gets going it sounds pretty good to my ears (again nothing to compare it to as I don't have any other pressings). This copy does have an issue though and that's constant crackle & static in the background, I am going to send it through the ultrasonic cleaner this weekend to see if that clears it up or if it's just part of the pressing.
Thanks for the review. I have too much stuff coming in that a purchase of this one will have to wait.
Hopefully a clean will help with the crackle.
@Bez - I don’t have the 80’s UK bootleg to compare but I have been tempted to pick up a copy for fun to add to the collection. I watched one go by just a few days ago on YJA at 5k yen. As @inks mentioned, there should be promo stamp and hand-cut dead wax engraving. The boot should also have a glossy sleeve rather than the original matte cardstock sleeve. I have the 2015 GDM reissue, but the 1971 General Music pressing is superior, imho. Maddalena is one of those Morricone/Nicolai/Edda gems that I will want to always have around. I know everybody loves Chi Mai in its many forms and the reissue has the extra track with Lisa Gastoni’s full vocal performance. The latter was originally released on 45 by RCA Italiana sublabel “it” back in ‘71. https://www.discogs.com/release/501145 ... ni-Chi-Mai. My pick is always Come Maddalena though. I love the quiet start with percussion building up to those dreamy vibes, and it gets so sweeping and epic like the Maestro’s great Western themes.

Il Sorriso Del Grande Tentatore is another Morricone OST with great percussion and ethereal choral/vocal mix that I would recommend.
Last edited by deafmetal on Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deafmetal wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:43 am @Bez - I don’t have the 80’s UK bootleg to compare but I have been tempted to pick up a copy for fun to add to the collection. I watched one go by just a few days ago on YJA at 50k yen. As @inks mentioned, there should be promo stamp and hand-cut dead wax engraving. The boot should also have a glossy sleeve rather than the original matte cardstock sleeve. I have the 2015 GDM reissue, but the 1971 General Music pressing is superior, imho. Maddalena is one of those Morricone/Nicolai/Edda gems that I will want to always have around. I know everybody loves Chi Mai in its many forms and the reissue has the extra track with Lisa Gastoni’s full vocal performance. The latter was originally released on 45 by RCA Italiana sublabel “it” back in ‘71. https://www.discogs.com/release/501145 ... ni-Chi-Mai. My pick is always Come Maddalena though. I love the quiet start with percussion building up to those dreamy vibes, and it gets so sweeping and epic like the Maestro’s great Western themes.

Il Sorriso Del Grande Tentatore is another Morricone OST with great percussion and ethereal choral/vocal mix that I would recommend.
I have the GDM. Playing it now. Sounds pretty good.

I also discovered I have this tucked away with it- BBC Records 7” with Chi Mai / Come Maddalena on the flip! (Edit, of course…) The latter is an all time EM theme for me too Deaf.
147399C3-79D7-49A2-A150-5C5094DAA060.jpeg
147399C3-79D7-49A2-A150-5C5094DAA060.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
11E25646-6E5C-420B-826E-45B28DCCF238.jpeg
11E25646-6E5C-420B-826E-45B28DCCF238.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 1669 times
@ScoJo - Nice piece of history there with that BBC single. It is interesting how popular Chi Mai was back in the day. That BBC reissue supposedly hit #2 in the UK singles charts in 1981 likely from being used as the main theme for the TV serial The Life and Times of David Lloyd George. I have never seen it but it uses Morricone music/score?
I just now paid for the shipment of a very large package from Japan containing some very nice records. Including some Varese Sarabande ones. I don't think it will be very hard for you all to guess which titles these are:
Attachments
VS.jpg
VS.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 am I just now paid for the shipment of a very large package from Japan containing some very nice records. Including some Varese Sarabande ones. I don't think it will be very hard for you all to guess which titles these are:
I got all three straight away haha… tho i did surprise myself how quickly i knew the third one. Fuckin nerd.

Congrats in the haul, safe passage!
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:35 am
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:06 am I just now paid for the shipment of a very large package from Japan containing some very nice records. Including some Varese Sarabande ones. I don't think it will be very hard for you all to guess which titles these are:
I got all three straight away haha… tho i did surprise myself how quickly i knew the third one. Fuckin nerd.

yes, I don't believe I made this difficult :-)
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:05 am
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:35 am

yes, I don't believe I made this difficult :-)
The VS Fog sounds so good, and is such a perfect album - easily the version I reach for first.

P3 is also a good score - I remember back in the DFC days we spoke to Renzetti and he had a wild tale that was something about the director and a ‘satanic cult’/murder/curse(?) that he relayed to us which was really bizarre. I forget the details but basically the director Gary Sharman just narrowly missed a fateful encounter with someone very unpleasant. I’ll have to see if TG recalls the specifics!

It’s mad how that film was truly despised for the longest time (and you know, understandably so for many reasons tbh) but has been rescued more recently by a solid fan base and the endorsement of filmmakers like Edgar Wright. It might not be a very good film but it’s definitely memorable and bizarre.
Last edited by ScoJo on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:55 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:25 pm another one...

Easy if you use a camera and google translate. But without?
I cheated. I did think ‘this should be just as sweet as pie’ but it turned out to be the most loathsome of all your clues.
hahaha.... you are a legend, sir!
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:15 pm
Bezulsqy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:05 pm I have more coming and more to choose from...
This one has long eluded me…. mostly because I flat refuse to settle for the cheaper/easier to find edition with the inferior, basic sleeve art
yes, this sleeve is brilliant.
deafmetal wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:43 am

I've seen you recommend this more than once, I noticed a local shop had a copy but it was $10 cheaper on their discogs so I bought it there instead of in store.

Unfortunately the jacket was completely unglued and held together at the top with tape that was so old that it was breaking down, discoloring and very gummy. After some very careful work with some goo gone and tape removal. I was able to remove most of its existence. Also used some high quality double sided tape to put it back together. The record itself is in excellent condition. Haven't had a chance to sit down for a full listen yet though
PSX_20230223_183347.jpg
PSX_20230223_183347.jpg (271.66 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
PSX_20230223_183451.jpg
PSX_20230223_183451.jpg (289.06 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
@inks - Eccellente! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I recommend a listen as high volume in a dark room along with your favorite beverage. For such a wonderful Beat Records album, it is a bit odd that this one seems to have a bit of a sub-standard sleeve on thin paper. The glue has also failed on my copy as well.