Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

CrossedPete wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:43 pm
ScoJo wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:17 am
CrossedPete wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:56 am Great stuff @static,@tim and @jim all records that are on my list.

Man what is it about Varese Serabande releases. I just want them all. Even if I have a soundtrack on a different label if there is a VS version I want it and chances are it will sound better.
I feel like there is a renewed 'OG Varese' energy on the board of late :)

Gotta get them all!!
Not sure if it’s renewed, for me VS is the the best of the best for record labels( I don’t own any Beat records but man I’m sure they rival VS) not sure why the releases are so magical but they are. Probably because they are the OGs they just sound the best. For example when I started buying soundtracks one of my holy grail records was Escape from New York. I just loved (still do) that opening theme. When I finally got a copy it was the expanded 2LP version from Silva Screen I think. I felt it didn’t sound the same. Almost like it was played on a piano. It just seemed off. Cut to a year or so later I finally tracked down a copy on VS and to my delight it sounded just how I wanted it to sound. It has that rich synth sound and honestly I haven’t gone back to that other version unless I want to hear the bank robbery or snake shake.what I have noticed is prices are going up and they are harder to find especially certain gems.

I would love to see everyone’s VS collections though. When I get home later I’ll post my tiny collection but I would love to drool/see everyone else’s
Here's ScoJo's comparison of the various versions. Very interesting stuff.

viewtopic.php?p=114528#p114528
CrossedPete wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:02 pm I’m pretty sure I read this but I’m going to reread as I can’t remember all the findings. Thanks
Ok I just reread your comparison @scojo you nailed it. What a shame it’s scary to think someone would go in and change things up to what end? I guess EFNY has more in common with Star Wars than i first thought. You’re doing gods work with those Comparisons keep them up good sir.
inksb wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 am
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm Big STBC day at my local shop. Both are fantastic!
Did you get that Morricone at retail price????
I paid $34 for the gold pressing. Initially bummed, but it sounds good. Funny thing is I know this record has been sitting at my shop for 4 years. Once I saw all the love on here, I knew what must to be done.

Also, that Hubbard CTI is the hottest pressing I own. I'll have to check my others to see how they sound.
Well, I went on an eBay/discogs binge over the last few days and last night was a night of envy so I also went to my local for the first time in a while to see what he had gotten in. Excuse the mixing of some non OST here, but I’m showing off these Iggy first pressings too haha. Only on VS to be found but it’s a good one and a nice selection of records curiously missing from my stacks already.
2B03E96B-3459-45A3-BDC6-B5673F125D49.jpeg
2B03E96B-3459-45A3-BDC6-B5673F125D49.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 1509 times
I had always passed on the Christine comp because it was the soundtrack not the score but once it was in my hands I decided this was a silly thing to not have.
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:09 pm Well, I went on an eBay/discogs binge over the last few days and last night was a night of envy so I also went to my local for the first time in a while to see what he had gotten in. Excuse the mixing of some non OST here, but I’m showing off these Iggy first pressings too haha. Only on VS to be found but it’s a good one and a nice selection of records curiously missing from my stacks already.

2B03E96B-3459-45A3-BDC6-B5673F125D49.jpeg

I had always passed on the Christine comp because it was the soundtrack not the score but once it was in my hands I decided this was a silly thing to not have.
Neat swag pile! Many many gems here - one I will single out is the Rampage score, a terrific creepy little 80s number from Il Maestro that I take any opportunity to shout about.
@scojo yeah I only know rampage by reputation but when a morricone you don’t have is in hand, Proper etiquette is to purchase it.

I’m also very happy about Alfie, I’ve been on a 60s/70s Caine kick for the past few days and that’s a smooth record.

I’m also excited about that bit of Kim Fowley nonsense. That was from the owners personal collection, he of the score thirst trap insta pic. We bond over monster kid stuff despite being two generations apart and it’s awesome. Most of my Zacherley is from him as well
Yeah man, I never pass up a Quincy Jones score
I had the day off so I took a drive and hit up a few smaller shops in and around the Hudson valley, not a VS to be found but another Quincy Jones, another Michael Caine classic, a zacherle reissue I picked up for the hell fo it and a few other bits and bobs
C72A0162-EDA0-4208-A4B6-438542A5A894.jpeg
C72A0162-EDA0-4208-A4B6-438542A5A894.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1441 times
ScoJo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:43 pm Looks like you scored a good deal on that Hawk, nice work. I've seen it go for bucks, the times I've looked into acquiring it
Better than it looks actually, this guy is mostly an antique store with a fair bit of wax in one cubby, he knows what he has but i get the sense real vinyl people come in few and far between and he just wants to move it, everything over $5 is 1/2 price, so i walked out of there with Hawk and Funeral for 40 all together. I bought a bunch of original Aurora monster models from him over the summer, hes about a 45 minute drive in an awesome little town and its a dangerous shop for me haha.
Wow, some cool stuff. Never heard of that Space Oddities record.

I got this over the course of the last few days:
635C452B-1172-409D-AD50-FFD6E2C87D24.jpeg
635C452B-1172-409D-AD50-FFD6E2C87D24.jpeg (746.88 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
and then these two arrived today:
5CA127DD-82C2-49B5-8FB1-EB484D623252.jpeg
5CA127DD-82C2-49B5-8FB1-EB484D623252.jpeg (553.02 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
That Empire trailers LP looks really cool and fun, sort of like the Something Awful horror show LP from 2019.

Looks like we lucked out on that DOD box huh? mine shipped today. fingers crossed.
Hatter313 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:12 am That Empire trailers LP looks really cool and fun, sort of like the Something Awful horror show LP from 2019.

Looks like we lucked out on that DOD box huh? mine shipped today. fingers crossed.
yeah I’m looking forward to giving DOD and the Empire Trailers record a spin. I have the WW reissue but there’s just something about the OG releases. And I feel that trailers album should be a fun listen.
havershaw wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:52 am Wow, some cool stuff. Never heard of that Space Oddities record.
Honestly me neither. I called my local record store about ordering in the reissue of Jungle Obsession that is coming out. It doesn’t look like they can but this other Nino Nardini was available to order so I sampled a little bit of it online and figured why not. I’ll probably spin all of these tomorrow.
Yeah, much like creepshow, I love the waxwork pressing, but I love both scores so much that having an original feels necessary for several reasons.

Something about both those scores. I’m sure a lot of it is what ScoJo said in the VS thread, the feelings both those movies evoke and how tied they are to certain fond memories, but also just on their own Harrison’s work has a legit magic to it. I wish he had a more prolific composing career because I’d put these two scores up against anyone