Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

I'd share my top 5 but three of them are grails and I'm not looking for the competition.

Thats said, I'm surprised how many new ears the Ahbez joint has found. I'm a little jealous.
So forgive my ignorance on the subject but this is a new world for me. A while ago I stumbled upon the Martin Denny exotic moog record they reissued for a RSD I picked it up and right out gate I recognized the first track Quiet Village but I couldn’t place it. I checked out Mr. Denny’s original version and right away I knew it was from the opening theme to Pee Wee’s Playhouse a show I would watch religiously as a child. Cut to today checking out this feed and all the love for Les Baxter so I decided to check him out. See what all the fuss is about. To my surprise I noticed he also released Quiet Village. I didn’t get too far in the weeds with it I decided to pose the question here as it seems their are some big fans who I’m hoping will share some of the dirt. Who covered who? Both songs seemed to be released fairly close of each other. To me they seem like contemporaries did they work together?
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 am So forgive my ignorance on the subject but this is a new world for me. A while ago I stumbled upon the Martin Denny exotic moog record they reissued for a RSD I picked it up and right out gate I recognized the first track Quiet Village but I couldn’t place it. I checked out Mr. Denny’s original version and right away I knew it was from the opening theme to Pee Wee’s Playhouse a show I would watch religiously as a child. Cut to today checking out this feed and all the love for Les Baxter so I decided to check him out. See what all the fuss is about. To my surprise I noticed he also released Quiet Village. I didn’t get too far in the weeds with it I decided to pose the question here as it seems their are some big fans who I’m hoping will share some of the dirt. Who covered who? Both songs seemed to be released fairly close of each other. To me they seem like contemporaries did they work together?
Denny covered Baxter. It wasn't unusual for these guys to do different versions of each others songs at the time, and Baxter was an exceptionally prolific composer. Quiet Village indeed sort of became a standard for the genre, and Denny's recording of it was arguably a bigger hit and a definitive rendition over Baxters original, notable for the animal noises he layered in.

Mothersbaugh did indeed incorporate it into his theme for Pee Wee's playhouse. All those guys were big into Exotica and kitsch/lowbrow culture, you can hear a lot of its influence in Elfman, Mothersbaugh, Howard Shore's score to Ed Wood etc. Burton and Ruebens both love this sort of thing so the guys they worked with incorporated a lot of these motifs into their work. Danny Elfman in particular could be described as falling somewhere between Baxter and Hermann if i had to really nail him down.
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 am
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 am So forgive my ignorance on the subject but this is a new world for me. A while ago I stumbled upon the Martin Denny exotic moog record they reissued for a RSD I picked it up and right out gate I recognized the first track Quiet Village but I couldn’t place it. I checked out Mr. Denny’s original version and right away I knew it was from the opening theme to Pee Wee’s Playhouse a show I would watch religiously as a child. Cut to today checking out this feed and all the love for Les Baxter so I decided to check him out. See what all the fuss is about. To my surprise I noticed he also released Quiet Village. I didn’t get too far in the weeds with it I decided to pose the question here as it seems their are some big fans who I’m hoping will share some of the dirt. Who covered who? Both songs seemed to be released fairly close of each other. To me they seem like contemporaries did they work together?
Denny covered Baxter. It wasn't unusual for these guys to do different versions of each others songs at the time, and Baxter was an exceptionally prolific composer. Quiet Village indeed sort of became a standard for the genre, and Denny's recording of it was arguably a bigger hit and a definitive rendition over Baxters original, notable for the animal noises he layered in.

Mothersbaugh did indeed incorporate it into his theme for Pee Wee's playhouse. All those guys were big into Exotica and kitsch/lowbrow culture, you can hear a lot of its influence in Elfman, Mothersbaugh, Howard Shore's score to Ed Wood etc. Burton and Ruebens both love this sort of thing so the guys they worked with incorporated a lot of these motifs into their work. Danny Elfman in particular could be described as falling somewhere between Baxter and Hermann if i had to really nail him down.
orsonwellesapplauding.gif
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 am

That’s very interesting @hatter I wonder did Baxter ever cover Denny? Was their relationship a friendly one or more of a Tupac/Biggie thing? I’ve been listening to a lot of jazz lately particularly albums under the CTI umbrella. I’ve noticed a bunch of songs that seem to cover popular songs of the time, like Hubbard’s Cold Turkey, Laws Fire and Rain or Benson’s California Dreaming. Man I love a good cover. I remember in the age of Napster downloading all the punk covers i can get my grubby hands on.

From the little Baxter I listened to today I totally can hear his influence on Elfman good call
havershaw wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:56 am aaaaand just like that, I have been sucked in.

101E96E3-6CA5-401A-9805-A459AAD5BC6A.jpeg
I gotta say that artwork is incredible. That style is really working for me. It reminds me of the enchanted Tiki room. I can imagine Walt Disney showing up to a meeting with a stack of Baxter records telling all his underlings I want this give me this.
The Father (Baxter), The Son (Denny), and The Holy Ghost (Lyman). They all have their place in the Exotica Pantheon, but Bax sits at the head of the table. And he didn't stop there. He made plenty of other sounds to crow about as many here can attest to.
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:02 am
havershaw wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:56 am aaaaand just like that, I have been sucked in.

101E96E3-6CA5-401A-9805-A459AAD5BC6A.jpeg
I gotta say that artwork is incredible. That style is really working for me. It reminds me of the enchanted Tiki room. I can imagine Walt Disney showing up to a meeting with a stack of Baxter records telling all his underlings I want this give me this.
Yeah I really love this artwork too. And I’m sure this music was the template for a lot of what’s played in the Tiki room.
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 am The Father (Baxter), The Son (Denny), and The Holy Ghost (Lyman). They all have their place in the Exotica Pantheon, but Bax sits at the head of the table. And he didn't stop there. He made plenty of other sounds to crow about as many here can attest to.
Gotta say I checked out Arthur Lyman, haven’t stopped listing yet. Good call
My Man!

ugh Evil Dead....why are you so pricey? I'm going to do something stupid one of these days and just drop it.
static14 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:58 pm 2 grail arrivals!
Beautiful! I almost bought a copy of Orca last year for $65 but it was missing the obi, I still regret passing it up.

Not entirely sure I'll ever find a reasonable copy of Evil Dead but one can dream
@inks I found one last year (ok probably the year before because I'm ignoring 2020) on eBay for $120. Supposedly VG+ but after an ultrasonic cleaning, it was basically NM. Plays flawless.

Sometimes you can get the deals on eBay! A lot of the really good deals I've gotten have been there. Woman's Colors is another one that I got cheap (well, cheap for that) via eBay.
havershaw wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:21 pm @inks I found one last year (ok probably the year before because I'm ignoring 2020) on eBay for $120. Supposedly VG+ but after an ultrasonic cleaning, it was basically NM. Plays flawless.

Sometimes you can get the deals on eBay! A lot of the really good deals I've gotten have been there. Woman's Colors is another one that I got cheap (well, cheap for that) via eBay.
Yeah I've been having really good luck on ebay lately. I've been able to grab a handful of Japanese records that normally cost $30-$50 in the US for under $20 on there. I just need to be more active in checking ebay
There's something winging it's way to me from the good ole US of A, (thanks to the help of not one but two forum brothers!) that I'm looking forward to sharing with you all. A Graily McGrailface.

Little clue.....

clue.jpg
clue.jpg (143.92 KiB) Viewed 1565 times