Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

ScoJo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:28 pm Well, this is grim. I have never had a record package arrive in such a terrible state, and it's my first order from Poland (but I shall jump to no conclusions...)

This is the 2xLP Korzynski album direct from the label GAD.

Not in a mailer as such, but record was wrapped in card/brown paper (right to edges/corners of sleeve) then parcel taped. Arrived absolutely soaking wet, all packaging dripping and fucked. Even still inside its shrink, the LP is also soaked through/bent/tattered. No idea what state the vinyl is in, but cant be good! Im waiting to hear back from label before i attempt any further investigation.

Truly a grim postal surprise!

IMG_0605.JPG

This isn't a corner ding youre seeing - its damage across over half of the LP! Eek.

IMG_0606.JPG
Update: happy ending... they did the right thing and shipped me a new sleeve/inners/insert in a comically blast-proof array of cardboard mailer/stiffeners/outer box. Hopefully they learned a small lesson about shipping their precious goods overseas in a paper-and-parcel-tape johnny ;-)
First big shipment has come in. The LITA comps were my splurge a month ago and that was supposed to be my big order for a while. mad Max is only the first of the VS incoming.
9DC63C23-B621-43B3-8323-C3014D5E3017.jpeg
9DC63C23-B621-43B3-8323-C3014D5E3017.jpeg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 1558 times
it looked like he had about 60, i was in the last few he had on for sale, i think he had about 4 left if anyone is looking. SLIGHT, and i mean so slight its only apparent if i'm really looking and doesn't affect play at all, warp, but its going to live between some heavy boxsets for a few days and see if that straightens it out. I'm so used to the usual track list from the various CD releases and the waxwork that i was caught off guard by side one for a moment there.

If anyone doesn't know Edge of Darkness form Kamen and Clapton, remedy that immediately. moody and perfect. imagine early shades of Highlander and a mean guitar tone from Clapton obviously. its a short listen, but a worthy one.
Weird, my copy of DotD has zero warp to it. It was something I immediately checked when I got it due to Monster's warning of the previous batch of dead stock found being pretty warped. Guess I was a lucky one. I'll probably post one big haul once all my Japanese records (thanks @dollar, that one hurt a little) and VS records arrive.

Hatter, that's such a great haul. Somewhere Between and Kankyo are so damn good. I really have been spinning Somewhere a lot lately. That folk comp is good too, I keep meaning to order it (like the Pacific Breeze comps) but other stuff takes priority.

I'm unfamiliar with Ritual of the Savage, what is that like?
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:10 pm First big shipment has come in. The LITA comps were my splurge a month ago and that was supposed to be my big order for a while. mad Max is only the first of the VS incoming.

I really dig that original Mad Max cover.
inksb wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 pm Weird, my copy of DotD has zero warp to it. It was something I immediately checked when I got it due to Monster's warning of the previous batch of dead stock found being pretty warped. Guess I was a lucky one. I'll probably post one big haul once all my Japanese records (thanks @dollar, that one hurt a little) and VS records arrive.

Hatter, that's such a great haul. Somewhere Between and Kankyo are so damn good. I really have been spinning Somewhere a lot lately. That folk comp is good too, I keep meaning to order it (like the Pacific Breeze comps) but other stuff takes priority.

I'm unfamiliar with Ritual of the Savage, what is that like?
I'd guess you got one out of the middle of the box and mine may have been more towards the edge...i have no idea why i think that would make a difference but for some reason thats making sense to me. something something about pressure something something.

Ritual of the Savage is THE Les Baxter exotica record. if you dig that 50's tiki lounge sound, this the record to grab. the first pressing was a 10" in 1951 which was then expanded to a 12" in 1955 with some tracks from later sessions , thats this pressing. it's definitely a relic from some less PC days for sure, but the music is great and the vibe is killer if you are into that sort of tiki/exotica/lounge thing

Also the track "coronation" sounds like John Williams' Superman theme and i wouldn't be surprised if he had this in his head when he wrote that.
Yeah I was immediately intrigued by that Les Baxter LP.

I admit, even though I have a sealed Day from a few years ago (plus my childhood copy), I bought another one of these Day sealed LPs a couple of weeks ago too.

I figured between my two sealed copies, one of them had to be unwarped (I haven’t opened either one yet)
@Hatter - What a great haul, my man! Love Edge of Darkness. Love the Pacific Breeze comps. And I really love Les Baxter as some here may know. I would argue that this is in the Holy Trinity of Baxter LPs and not the sole grail, but let's not use this time to quibble. Let's use it to preach the gospel of Exotica.

@Inks - You would really dig the Pac Breezes.
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm @Hatter - What a great haul, my man! Love Edge of Darkness. Love the Pacific Breeze comps. And I really love Les Baxter as some here may know. I would argue that this is in the Holy Trinity of Baxter LPs and not the sole grail, but let's not use this time to quibble. Let's use it to preach the gospel of Exotica.

I Knew you'd appreciate the Baxter :D.. would you say Tamboo! would be in the trinity as well? whats your third. before VS fever struck I was going to start building out my Baxter Exotica on wax. Tamboo! and Caribbean Moonlight were next on my list. I have a ton of it digitally but it was time to do it proper.
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:37 pm
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm @Hatter - What a great haul, my man! Love Edge of Darkness. Love the Pacific Breeze comps. And I really love Les Baxter as some here may know. I would argue that this is in the Holy Trinity of Baxter LPs and not the sole grail, but let's not use this time to quibble. Let's use it to preach the gospel of Exotica.

I Knew you'd appreciate the Baxter :D.. would you say Tamboo! would be in the trinity as well? whats your third. before VS fever struck I was going to start building out my Baxter Exotica on wax. Tamboo! and Caribbean Moonlight were next on my list. I have a ton of it digitally but it was time to do it proper.
While I defer to my learned colleagues to debate the relative merits of various Baxter exotic LPs, I will just add that whomever gets their opposable out of their rusty bullethole and delivers us THE BEAST WITHIN on shellac will be forever in my pantheon. And while I'm here... CRY OF THE BANSHEE is very much worth grabbing if you see it.
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:14 pm @Inks - You would really dig the Pac Breezes.
Oh I've heard them, they are great. I held off on part 1 due to reading about various sound quality issues with the tracks sounding much less dynamic than their source LP's but then it just turned into a procrastination thing and it seemed like every time I had the extra cash they were out of stock. I'll get them eventually as I do love a good compilation.
ScoJo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 pm

While I defer to my learned colleagues to debate the relative merits of various Baxter exotic LPs, I will just add that whomever gets their opposable out of their rusty bullethole and delivers us THE BEAST WITHIN on shellac will be forever in my pantheon. And while I'm here... CRY OF THE BANSHEE is very much worth grabbing if you see it.
I went on a vincent price binge early int he pandemic and i think the edit of COTB i watched was the original score (wilfred Jospehs) and not the Baxter score AIP added for the US release. i think my disc has both so i'm going to give that another watch. Baxter's genre scores, especially for Corman are incredibly underrated.
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:07 pm
ScoJo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:43 pm

I went on a vincent price binge early int he pandemic and i think the edit of COTB i watched was the original score (wilfred Jospehs) and not the Baxter score AIP added for the US release. i think my disc has both so i'm going to give that another watch. Baxter's genre scores, especially for Corman are incredibly underrated.
Hatter313 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:10 pm First big shipment has come in. The LITA comps were my splurge a month ago and that was supposed to be my big order for a while. mad Max is only the first of the VS incoming.

That Native North American Comp is fantastic! One of the best archival releases of the last few years...
vinyljunkie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:58 pm

That Native North American Comp is fantastic! One of the best archival releases of the last few years...
yeah dude, It's stuff like this that really makes me miss Other Music down on E 4th. this is just the type of thing they would have promoted. man that was a great place.
@Hatter - Tamboo! Is definitely in the top three along with Ritual and Moonlight, though Moonlight is the lesser coveted of the group. My personal top tier includes five records; the aforementioned three, Jungle Jazz, and my personal favorite, The Sacred Idol. There is a further handful which I consider essential, but these five are God-tier Exotica from Les Bax.

@Inks - I think your sources are likely correct that the original LPs sound better, but, for me, this is a great way to spin songs on wax most of which I probably won't ever seek out the full albums of unless they are digital. Plus I think they are exceptionally well sequenced comps.
Those other two would have been my next guesses. Sacred Idol is something else. Ugh, once the recent bing settles and my bank account recovers its back to these guys. Definitely in time for some summer jams though :)
Hatter313 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:14 am Those other two would have been my next guesses. Sacred Idol is something else. Ugh, once the recent bing settles and my bank account recovers its back to these guys. Definitely in time for some summer jams though :)
No better time for it, Brother.
Mateo Sanboval wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:07 am @Hatter - Tamboo! Is definitely in the top three along with Ritual and Moonlight, though Moonlight is the lesser coveted of the group. My personal top tier includes five records; the aforementioned three, Jungle Jazz, and my personal favorite, The Sacred Idol. There is a further handful which I consider essential, but these five are God-tier Exotica from Les Bax.

*rubs temples*

Mateo, tell me about these other “essentials” from Baxter.

also, what’s better - mono or stereo?

(dear god, I did not need another rabbit hole to go down.)