Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

Bub wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:56 pm Awesome, ScoJo! Your first clue was driving me nuts cause I knew I had seen that before. And the same with this new one. I cheated but let out a giant "ohhhhhhhh" once I learned what it was.

Some more arrivals.

20210310_121224_resize_98.jpg
Well those clues were pretty deadly...

Tim/RevOcelot's package has passed thru UK customs and is en route to my local sort office!!
By Bub
ScoJo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:58 pm
Bub wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:56 pm Awesome, ScoJo! Your first clue was driving me nuts cause I knew I had seen that before. And the same with this new one. I cheated but let out a giant "ohhhhhhhh" once I learned what it was.

Some more arrivals.

20210310_121224_resize_98.jpg
Well those clues were pretty deadly...

Tim/RevOcelot's package has passed thru UK customs and is en route to my local sort office!!
Yeah, I feel silly for not catching it right away haha. I love mine. Congrats!
Not sure where to post this but I’ve been joining in the fun listening to some Les Baxter as of late. I stumbled onto a soundtrack of his ‘Hell’s Belles’ I got to say I’m really enjoying it. Does anybody know if it was released on vinyl? I haven’t hit up any local record stores in a while but I’m thinking this weekend to go on a Baxter hunt. I’ll post if I have any luck.
Yes the original is hard to find, I never have found one, and I have a reissue that was maybe $10 of dubious origins and quality. Excellent record. That one and African Blue are my favorites though I haven't heard most of his others.
@texas I haven’t come across African Blue yet. I’ll have to investigate.

Seems like everyone has figured out @scojo’s clues. Well I have no idea. To quote the great Curly Howard “I’m trying to think but nothing’s happening.” I guess I just have to be surprised. I’m looking forward to finding out

@Bub nice haul. When did they release the score to Rocky IV? I must of missed it. As a fan of the series and especially IV I need this release. I
must rectify this immediately. How does it sound?
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:05 pm
Seems like everyone has figured out @scojo’s clues. Well I have no idea. To quote the great Curly Howard “I’m trying to think but nothing’s happening.” I guess I just have to be surprised. I’m looking forward to finding out
Now spinning Pete, fresh from delivery via the awesome @Tim and @RevOcelot's combined graces - there are more goodies that they each secured for me in this package, I'll show them off inabit :0) Suffice to say I'm thrilled to finally have an OG of this banger, and very grateful to both of my awesome brokers for helping me out (and enabling me in spending ze dollars...) <3

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1913 times
The Deadly Spawn!!! I should’ve guessed it. When I saw the pic I literally said ‘Holy Shit’ out loud. This record is on my always growing want list. I would settle for the reissue, although all the love over OG pressings lately make me think I might focus on an original copy. Do you know if the reissue is a straight repress? Or has it been remastered? Possible candidate for comparison corner?
Jimmy_Mike wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:47 pm I just got my shipping notification from LitA for Feelings reish. Purty pumped.
That must be nice. I've never got a shipping notification from LitA ever. But in all seriousness you should be very excited as that album is fantastic.
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:02 pm The Deadly Spawn!!! I should’ve guessed it. When I saw the pic I literally said ‘Holy Shit’ out loud. This record is on my always growing want list. I would settle for the reissue, although all the love over OG pressings lately make me think I might focus on an original copy. Do you know if the reissue is a straight repress? Or has it been remastered? Possible candidate for comparison corner?
A comparison is doable - I sold my spare Mondo but still have back up copy. My guess is that they both sound good tbh, though who knows what'll happen when I pit them against each other ;)
CrossedPete wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:02 pm The Deadly Spawn!!! I should’ve guessed it. When I saw the pic I literally said ‘Holy Shit’ out loud. This record is on my always growing want list. I would settle for the reissue, although all the love over OG pressings lately make me think I might focus on an original copy. Do you know if the reissue is a straight repress? Or has it been remastered? Possible candidate for comparison corner?
The Mongo states that it was 'Remastered by James Plotkin'. From what source, it doesn't elaborate.

A quick compare between them shows that they sound very similar, though the original Deadly Records is a touch louder and the flute on the title track has been tamed slightly/is less forceful and raspy on the reissue. The track listings are identical.

The original pressing is flawless and despite it's age, there was very little surface noise and only a little bit of snap and crackle. Even after a clean there was substantial noise throughout on the Mongo pressing (the black vinyl version) though only what we've come to expect.

I prefer the original, though I do really like the toothy sleeve art on the reissue. I'll be keeping a copy as a backup for sure. There are also some funny ironic comments on the vinyl release by Michael Perilstein and cool liner notes about the composer.

But I'll be reaching for the DR when I want the full Deadly experience.

There's a funny little detail on the back of the Mongo - the licensing/production statement reads as follows:

"All rights reserved (including, but not limited to, the right to be re-served - assuming that one has already been served in the first place). This sentence wants you to believe that it has conscious awareness, even though it knows that it doesn't."
Last edited by ScoJo on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i feel like everybody used to have a hell of a lot more fun
Hatter313 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:25 pm i feel like everybody used to have a hell of a lot more fun
Justin Ishmael apparently did a lot of things wrong, but imbuing certain releases with a sense of humor and/or reverence was not one of his shortcomings.
New arrivals. Sadly some split seams on Dimensioni Sonore. They didn’t take the albums out of the sleeves for shipping. :(
Attachments
13218769-13F7-4B19-B419-4DBA1059CCD6.jpeg
13218769-13F7-4B19-B419-4DBA1059CCD6.jpeg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1804 times
I'm very jealous of both of those recent arrivals there @static. South Korean Universal Soldier, very cool. And I wish I could swing that big box set of Morricone/Nicolai, some fantastic stuff in there.