Show off your latest purchase here & make the hordes jealous of your haul

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

By Pain_Bubbles
I recently realised I have 95 Cd's and 55 Lp's by Bernard Herrmann, does that make me the ultimate Herrmann fan?

Miklos Rozsa and John Williams are also double digit (probably both 60+) entries in my collection, but my Herrmann collection is really something to behold. (Especially for non-Herrmann-ites: it's like 150 root-canals probably)
From the original 50's Vertigo (Mercury) and 7th Voyage of Sinbad (Colpix) to the recent Doxy reissues, and from every version of stalwarts like Psycho and North by Northwest to his obscurest works for televison, I have it all, one of the few artists where Ebay and Discogs have nothing to offer anymore.

Don't feel ashamed, show off those uber-collections here, there have to be some Goldsmith collectors out there to put my collection to shame and end this alcohol fueled posturing...
By monsterworship
Damn. Are there duplicate across formats? Double dipping.

I'm sure I have over 60 morricone records.
By Pain_Bubbles
Some double dipping is indeed going on:

Most of the LP's I also own on CD , but with music this old there are usually huge differences between later CD issues and Original vinyl versions. A lot of the master tapes deteriorated in the last decades, and quite often even a well played 50's or 60's LP Will sound better. (but without any "archival" bonus tracks)

With some albums there are multiple masters/tracklists/re-recordings.
Vertigo for example:

Original 1958 mercury mono LP
70's "Gold imports" stereo reissue LP
Doxy reissue LP
Original Mercury CD
1996 Varese expanded CD
1997 McNeely re-recording
1999 Conlon re-recording

But in general, a lot of "true" albums.
By shaqfu
Well, my vinyl collection is small because I started with CD.
But my biggest collection of a single composer, my favorite composer Jerry Goldsmith. 172 on CD

Double dipping if there are new tracks :D
By Pain_Bubbles
It had to be a Goldsmith fan ....

Any more on your wishlist? (Goldsmith must have more than 172 recordings, he might be amongst the most proficient movie composers)

There are some Herrmann CD's I don't own, some later recorded compilations that are a bit to fragmented for my taste. I like the older Phase 4 records with suites of 3 - 4 scores per album, but don't like to listen to "greatest hits" style recordings with single tracks from multiple scores.
By texasvinyl
Nice, I didn't know there were 55 Herrmann records!

My top 5 by # of albums is James Brown (37), Piero Umiliani (36), Ennio Morricone (35), Miles Davis (33), John Coltrane (26), all of whom put out an insane volume of releases!